1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

500 Days of Summer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 8, 2009.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this film, including the narration which I know put some people off. Went home that night and immediately bought the soundtrack on Itunes.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on Summer (the character). I really disliked her. But I'm realizing that I often dislike the female characters in these indie romances. I'd like to know what other people think.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I really disliked her, too. But what a great acting job to make us believe she wasn't into it at all. I think it had more to do with the way her character was written but she seemed very vapid. Which is how she was supposed to seem, I think.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't know what there was to dislike about her, other than the fact that she didn't turn out to be the romantic comedy character everyone expected her to by caving in at the end. The blind date chick said it best. Summer was completely honest and upfront with the guy and never did anything to betray or hurt him. She just didn't like him as much as he liked her.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, I don't get the dislike for her character either. She couldn't force those types of feelings for him if they weren't there.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i actually thought the movie was pretty good, and my girlfriend loved it. one of the few times we both liked a movie.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The characters kind of hit home. I lived with a girl in '03, and one of the first things she said before I moved into her place was that she's not good at being a girlfriend, yadda yadda. I figured that because she wanted me to move in that she liked me, but it wasn't really that way. The relationship crashed and burned about 4 months later. What that relationship was from the onset, I don't know. But I know what it's like when you think there's something more there, even if the other person is flat-out telling you not to force the issue.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Where were you a year and a half ago? :D

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Also loved the scene where the guy tried to pick her up at the bar.

Disagree on one thing about Summer -- the party was very dishonest. Other than that, it was the guy's fault for not paying attention to her warnings.

Draft saved Draft deleted