1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 years ago, the critics swung on, and missed with the Beatles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I was only 5 at the time, but I remember everyone and everything seeming very dark and sad that wintertime. Until all the grownups gathered around the teevee to laugh at the goofy kids with the long hair.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Actually, I think the Beatles in a way indirectly benefited from the timing of the JFK assassination. The country was in a morbid funk, and was perhaps looking for, maybe indirectly, something to divert their attention from reality.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I wondered if I was just 'remembering' what I THOUGHT should have happened, but I went back and checked,

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/

... and -- as I remembered, in my town, Nov. 22, 1963 was warm (60F) and rainy, but 2 days later it dropped into the 30s, and except for a couple brief 55F warm days, it was freezing, or colder, for the rest of the year, including a week late in December when it barely got out of the teens.

For a kindergarden kid, that seemed like the ice ages. "Life in a northern town."

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Beatles were different. Everything came together at the right time. I believe had outside influences not interfered, they would've lasted much longer.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

from NYT, isn't this what they said about Nirvana 30 years later?

Draft saved Draft deleted