1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 years ago, Big Sugar paid researchers to blame fat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 13, 2016.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Damn proud of it, too.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Poisoning the local waters more than ever now. The Everglades and more. Of course, that's because the corporate overlord has been greatly helped by the Republican rat governor, who is a clown like Trump is a clown. Good times.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I used to work at an office with a Coke sponsorship and we got them free too. I worked nights so basically I had an IV line of the stuff running through me.

Finally gave up soda a year ago, haven't seen any big difference on the scale but I feel less bloated. Though there are days where I'd give my left arm for a Coke Zero.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Big Sugar was great in The Raw.

490831.jpg

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What I do isn't running anymore, it's jogging, but I did encounter that. I added fruit back in.

But this Big Sugar campaign was never about telling people to eat their apples and bananas. I've still been avoiding the processed foods and it works without fail. In fairness, a lot of that is because when I'm watching a game late at night, eliminating processed foods means there's nothing left to eat. A man can take in only so many pistachios.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If you've ever tried to eliminate sugar from your diet completely for a month (I've done Whole30 twice, just to see how it feels; it feels really good despite being brutal) you realize how horrifying it is to track what includes sugar and what doesn't. I sound like Tom Brady here, but we've been conditioned to believe so many thinks need sugar in order to retain a certain sweetness or freshness, when it's almost entirely a lie.

Yogurt, bacon, BBQ sauce, granola, buns, mayo, almost every tomato sauce that you don't make yourself (including restaurants), bagels, wheat bread, fucking deli meat, rotisserie chicken you buy at the supermarket, etc., etc.

It's nuts.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is why about 90 percent of what we eat gets made from scratch and whole food ingredients. You are right, obviously. You don't need much -- if any -- added sugar in your diet to eat well and be satisfied. About the only sugar I get in my diet is from whole fruits and vegetables.

It's not just sugar when it comes to the products you are talking about. Most packaged food is highly processed. It does two things: it makes it cheaper to create, and it gives it longer shelf life than natural food (in part, they process foods to strip out the nutrients that pests like just as much as our bodies do.)

The processing also means a lot of chemicals that should have no place in a human diet. And it means that corn / soy runs through just about everything. Look at random labels in the supermarket: a ridiculously high percentage have some form of corn and/or soy in them. Corn and soy in and of themselves aren't bad things -- when eaten as whole foods -- but that isn't the form they take in those products. They are processed to strip out the things that block their absorption, in effect making them cheap glucose delivery systems.I have seen real-time imaging of people's brains while they were eating processed foods high in sugar and fat, and the same part of the brain that gets activated in drug users lights up like a pinball machine when people eat those kinds of foods. I am certain it is addictive much the same way opiates are, and the producers who make those products know it and intend it to be that way.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

That's certainly not on my list of things to do...

Liut, Double Down and old_tony like this.
  9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Not even pastrami? The most sensual of the salted, cured meats?

wicked, swingline, SpeedTchr and 4 others like this.
  10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

LMAO!

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I thought he was a boxing writer

Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted