1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 Ugliest Cars of the Past 50 Years

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Nov 5, 2011.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I had a Chevette in high school, made even uglier by the fact that it was about 10 years old and had a tan hood (the body was maroon). It looked like crap, the emblems were stickers, it had no A/C, it took 45 minutes to warm up to a point where it would move in cold weather and it was beginning to rust everywhere. But the son of a bitch refused to die. Once warmed up, it purred like a kitten, got great mileage -- I seldom took it out of town, but I could go weeks between fill-ups -- and never had a major problem. The closest thing to it was a leak in the transmission line and I fixed that myself in 10 minutes. I almost think that it could well still be putting along somewhere today.

But yeah, the exterior design was ugly. And all those pieces on the front were really cheap plastic. By the time I was ready to move on to a better (looking) car, all those plastic pieces had broken off.

For a short time, I also drove a 79 El Camino. I wouldn't mind having another one. One good thing about El Caminos made from about 78 to 83 was that if you couldn't get parts for an El Camino, parts from a Malibu were a very good substitute. I took advantage of that a couple of times because the grills for those cars were also plastic and broke easily.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It's always been the AMC Pacer for me w/Gremlin not far behind.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No list would be complete without this iconic baby:

[​IMG]

4. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Any American car made from 1972 to 1985 could have probably made the list.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

WAKE UP!

[​IMG]

And I'm sorry, but I would so buy the Plymouth Prowler

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

At work I run the Pontiac Facebook page. Many people may call that Aztek ugly, but the owners love them. It will actually be our car of the month in early 2012.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That explains all the Office references.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

If Breaking Bad is any guide, they're tough little vehicles that will aid in the management of your fledgling drug empire.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

This car looks like one of the lost minivans from Cars. The eyes are really expressive. It's cute and creepy at the same time.

10. I would love to have that car. Love it.

11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

The windshield might need regular replacing, however.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Just about any current Honda/Acura product belongs on the list, especially the Crosstour. Much more so than cars like the Ferrari, El Camino, original Sable/Taurus, PT Cruiser, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted