1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 take buyouts in Harrisburg

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DCguy, Dec 12, 2008.

1. DCguy

DCguy Member

http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/1208/576958.html

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...waiting with baited breath.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Kirkpatrick said things are not dire now, but the paper's thinking of the future.

Kirkpatrick is full of shit.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

anyone we know in sports?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, the sports editor.

6. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Well, I dunno if it's been known before this thread started, but from the link...

"Patriot-News publisher John Kirkpatrick would not comment on camera, but did tell us about 50 people have accepted buyouts including Sports Editor Nick Horvath..."

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Nick's been there forever ... Sad to see Nancy Eshelman leave. She did a fellowship at Penn State when I was there, and I always enjoyed reading her stuff.

A really good 100k paper. When I worked at a competitor, they kicked our ass eight ways to Sunday. We just bent over and took it.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Losing Nick is a tremendous blow and wicked is right, the section is among the best in the state.

9. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Nick Horvath was retiring this month anyway, so if he was able to accept a buyout on top of that, good on him.

10. I hope Corinna Wilson is actually correct and not just blowing smoke for the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association.

11. Keystone

Keystone Member

Also taking buyouts from sports: Bob Black, Fred Sprunk and Andy Linker.

12. dsg155

dsg155 Member

Anybody heard who was taking over for Nick? I echo Wicked and Drip. P-N is a solid sports section, should be good opportunity for somebody.

Draft saved Draft deleted