1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50% of NFL players smoke marijuana?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Short-term.

As I understand it, YF's assertion is that these big young black bucks overcome their compulsive inability to turn down the chronic via their behemoth physicality.

The well-bred, pasty investment bankers, on the other hand, are able to stay away from it, knowing as they do that such indulgences are a one-way ticket out of their trade, success in it relying as it does on discipline and self-denial rather than intelligence and a WASP pedigree.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Cocaine remains the Official Drug of Wall St.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I wonder if the fathers of the 50% of NFL players got high all the time.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/01/my-dad-will-never-stop-smoking-pot/283085/

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if it's as low as 50 percent. The testimonials about the NBA are that you have a hard time finding anyone who doesn't smoke it. I don't know why the NFL would be different.

That Sam Hurd story SI did sure made it sound like Hurd had an outsized popularity on the Cowboys solely because of the weed he carried.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would think the NFL's number would be significantly less than the NBA. I'm sure it's used, but there are so many guys in the NFL who are just batshit crazy about everything they put in their bodies... I know it wouldn't be the first time people say, "I don't touch anything with white starches or wheat or sugar, but pass the weed..." But the number of 50 percent seems about twice what I would guess it to be. I think it might be 50 percent with certain positions. When I covered the NFL, the guys who would joke about smoking weed always seemed to be defensive linemen and defensive backs.

25 percent is still a pretty high number.

7. LongTimeListener

I think you're being awfully naive.

Many of these guys are choosing between pot and a legal, accepted, liver-destroying prescription pill. For all of YF's mock fainting spells about marijuana, that isn't a difficult choice.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

YF's goal is to have nothing but marijuana threads on the first page, isn't it?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe... I don't know... The number just seems high. I remember reading something about how the league tests for pot use at the same time each year so it's easy to know when it's coming. It's also a test that is pretty easy to beat.

I wouldn't blame any of them for using it. I think it should be legal and I don't think it should be tested for.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let's be real. The pain relief that comes from smoking marijuana is fleeting. If they wanted to use THC for pain relief, they'd take a pill. They're smoking pot to get high:

11. LongTimeListener

And?

This is fascinating to see you get so worked up on this one solitary topic.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Everyone needs a hobby.

Draft saved Draft deleted