1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 Greatest New York (City) musicians of all-time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Mar 8, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I guess they're viewing Springsteen as the quintessential Jersey musician who wasn't influenced by the New York City scene. So I have no problem with them omitting Springsteen.

However if one wanted to make a case for inclusion, you could state...in his very first band, The Castiles (while he was in high school) he was playing the Cafe Wha? in the Village and that at the time he was signed to Columbia Records he was a solo artist playing the Gaslight in the Village. Plus they're also ignoring the fact that one of the major shows that broke him onto the national scene in 1975 was at The Bottom Line and that he recorded a live concert at MSG in 2000.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bruce has never lived here and is so closely identified with NJ that he could never be on the list. As ESJ pointed out, some of his most famous moments were here in Manhattan -- the WNEW broadcast of the Bottom Line show which gave him widespread credibility despite the Born to Run hype, the No Nukes concerts and the 10 show run in 2000 -- but he's not right for the list.

I'd put Little Steven closer to the list, because, not only does he live in NYC, but he embodies a lot of the spirit of the city. But anyone connected to Bruce from that era is thought of as an Asbury Park guy first and foremost.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Screw this NY thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted