1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 Greatest New York (City) musicians of all-time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Mar 8, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/Details.do?page=1&xyurl=xyl://TONYWebArticles1/596/features/the_50_greatest_new_york_musicians_of_all_time.xml

Read that first page to see their criteria and how they define New Yorker. I disagree with the logic of their one New York native omission (Billy Joel), but at least they explain why they left him out. Throughout the list they explain why they included some non-native New Yorkers.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Velvet Underground over Duke Ellington.
    How about that?
    I didn't even make it to third on their list.
    Sheesh.

3. EStreetJoe

Would it have shocked you to see Paul Simon at No. 50?

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Paul Simon at Number 50? No S&G, but Nas?

5. Webster

And Barbra Streisand below Run-DMC? No Barry Manilow -- I know he's cheesy, but he was a huge star and was the very definition of Brooklyn. No Dion and the Belmonts? Neil Diamond? Woody Guthrie -- who wrote some of his best music living in the city?

I have to stop looking.

6. tommyp

tommyp Member

That had to have been one of the worst top-anything lists I've ever read.

7. EStreetJoe

I'll admit Barry Manilow, Dion & the Belmonts and Neil Diamond are big omissions, however they explain why Guthrie was excluded here:

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Goofy, goofy shit. I would have had the Ramones - probably the quintessential NYC rock band - in the top five and the Talking Heads way above Blondie.

I know they gave a reason for his omission, but no Sinatra? The guy who sang "New York, New York"? Sure Frank's a guy who makes you think Vegas but long before he got there he was a big name in New York. Hopw soon they forget about his days wowing them at the Paramount Theatre....

9. EStreetJoe

On the first page, where they talk about the criteria they used, the explain omitting Frank.

10. EStreetJoe

I'm not defending the poll, I'm just pointing out that they explain reasons for most of their omissions and feel free to disagree with their reasoning.

I think they have Chic rated way too high. The omissions of Barry Manilow and Neil Diamnod are a crime and to have Paul Simon in there solo without Art Garfunkle is a huge mistake.

I don't agree with their reasoning for leaving out Billy Joel, Woody Guthrie, or Frank Sinatra, but at least they explained why.

11. Webster

Skipped over Woody's name when I read that. I think that Bob Dylan should have been included, as he was the definitive Village folk musician. It's funny that the list completely ignores this genre, while focusing, IMO, way too much on CBGB punk musicians.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read that. It's a ludicrous omission no matter what lame excuse they come up with.

And E Street, how do they overlook Springsteen on that list?

Draft saved Draft deleted