1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 best alt-country albums of "all time"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

They know their alt-country divas. Very happy to see Maria McKee (w/Lone Justice) and Neko Case represent high.

They didn't last long enough to break nationally, but we had a wonderful cowpunk band in Providence in the '80s called Rubber Rodeo, which turned out some spectacular stuff like this (think of an even darker Patsy Cline):

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Some great lines. Funny stuff.

Couldn't make it through Isbell' s latest single. Might be over him.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I've heard about half the album. Probably best to give him a rest for a bit to clear the palate.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

From the linked article above about 10 lame American acts. I'm glad someone had the gonads to finally say it:

[H]is strikingly consistent inability to come up with a melody, any melody, ranks him as one of the most uninteresting voices in contemporary popular music.

The only song of his that remotely sticks in my head is a shameless ripoff of "Norwegian Wood."

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Go on.

9. Dick Whitman

The "Cover Me Up" melody is "Norwegian Wood."

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That's the song I figured you were talking about. But are you saying you hate his voice or just the way he uses (or doesn't use) it?

11. Dick Whitman

I actually like his voice, and his words, too, mostly. I think that his voice is probably an enormous reason for his popularity. He sounds like alt-country the way that Wild Turkey tastes like bourbon.

His melodies are just very unmemorable, in my experience.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I can see that. Since Southeastern, most of his stuff has struck me as dull.

Draft saved Draft deleted