1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 Bands, 50 States

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 1, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Doesn't simply growing up in Ohio constitute paying your dues.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Prince is amazing, I actually ended a relationship with a girl cause she said he sucked. I was playing the Purple Rain Soundtrack in my car and she said "Prince sucks, turn this fucking terrible shit off" I kid you not I pulled over and left her like 2 miles from her house. Never talked to her again

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

How did 311 get shut out in Nebraska? That makes no sense to me.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I'm no NIN fan by any means, but I had no idea the guy had any kind of solo career. I can't say I'm certain he ranks above Frankie Avalon, Chubby Checker or Perry Como.

Hell, Donnie Iris for that matter (as a solo artist).

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

For Missouri, Chuck Berry is a very correct choice for best solo artist; I would think Nelly, Michael McDonald and Fontella Bass would battle for the next spots. But Uncle Tupelo? Pavlov's Dog and Shooting Star are at least as worthy.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Thought Booker T. and the MG's should have gotten some love in the Tennessee rankings.

I love Dolly (who couldn't?), but I understand the Phoenix's decision there.

Greg Allman was born in Tennessee, for what it's worth.

Howard Armstrong could have used some love, too. As could Isaac Hayes.

Justin Timberlake? Gag. Miley Cyrus? Gag. Lisa Marie? Gag.

Reese Witherspoon sure sang her pretty little ass off during "Walk the Line," (which, by the way, nearly featured my girlfriend. She was among the three finalists for Johnny's sisters).

Roy Acuff? Meh. Not my favorite old country singer. Not Tennessee Ernie Ford, either.

Usher? He's popular enough in the modern crowd, sure. But I wouldn't think his "talents" to be worthy of the top spot.

And while my home state could rightfully claim Elvis, his birthland is most undoubtedly outside its borders.

Morgan Freeman may or may not be able to carry a tune, but he sure as hell won't lose to any American in a narrating contest.

And Samuel L. Jackson and Davy Crockett could stomp any on y'all's asses to the ground.

So there's that post.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

NIN's stuff is essentially a solo project. I'm pretty sure he plays most, if not all, of the instruments on the recordings. The "band" is pretty much for touring.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You're so goth.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I can use that logic, too.

And, without Bo Diddley, the Beatles and Stones would have never existed. Who's better?

List didn't say "most influential." It said "greatest."

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Oh, you SO can pick the Pixies over Aerosmith for all-time great band. Who cares they didn't sell as many records, the influence is so far reaching on today's bands it's not funny. They may be more popular now than when they were together the first time.

Plus, the Pixies never recorded I Don't Want to Miss A Thing!

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No love in Ohio for Joe Walsh? For shame....

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

My only problem with Kentucky's pick is no Will Oldham over Bill Monroe. For shame!

And I wouldn't put Slint No. 1, but I can understand the argument. I'd do My Morning Jacket personally.

Draft saved Draft deleted