1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 Bands, 50 States

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 1, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Prince's? You're right.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Booooooooo!

3. imjustagirl

The truth hurts, Sox fan.

(and yes, I remember the score from last night. Asshole.)

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Guided By Voices should win Ohio in a sweep.

And I do love Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I loves me some Four Seasons, but seriously how can they and the Misfits be the toss-up for best NJ band.

They named Bruce the best solo act when in fact Bruce and the E-Streeters are the best band out of NJ and the best solo act was that skinny crooner from Hoboken named Sinatra.

6. imjustagirl

I've never heard of any of the people/bands mentioned for Kentucky.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Big Black for best band out of Illinois?!?
    Seriously?
    The Boston Phoenix is retarded.

And Spnited, totally agree. Plus, I thought Sinatra had gotten all edgy and cool with the hipster douchebags again. So him being left out is a little odd.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm surprised one the must-see bands wasn't named Hipster Douchebags.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

13th Floor Elevators as the best band from Texas? Over ZZ Top? Yeah, right....

And I am a big fan opf Roy Orbison, but Stevie Ray Vaughan or Johnny Winter should have been best solo artist.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Aren't the Allman Brothers originally from Daytona Beach, thus rendering them ineligible for Georgia?

I must say, the Phoenix made some good picks out of Indiana -- no Mellencamp! Though I'm not sure the Impossible Shapes are "new," depending on your definition. They've been around for close to a decade.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'll quibble with the best solo act from DC too: Marvin Gaye was a tremendous talent but I'll go with a true giant of American popular music: Duke Ellington.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Any list that has the Louvin Brothers ahead of Alabama in ALA-FUCKIN-BAMA is way the fuck out there. That's all I can say.

Draft saved Draft deleted