1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 Bands, 50 States

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Boston Phoenix lists the best band, solo act and new band from all 50 states ...

http://thephoenix.com/Supplements/2008/50States/

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

OK, I get wanting to name a bluesman for Mississippi. And Robert Johnson vs. B.B. King is like arguing whether you like vanilla ice cream or strawberry. Either way, you're getting a treat.
    But either of them over Elvis Freaking Presley? Are you kidding me?
    They lost me right there.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Exactly my thinking too.

Of course, it is the Phoenix and it's got to be edgy and hip. Picking Elvis would make the hipsters roll their eyes and question the paper's cred.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's odd. I looked at most of the other states, and it was a pretty good cross-section of genres. Lots of country acts, R&B, rock. Granted, I've never heard of any of the "best new bands" and a lot of the "best bands" had me scratching my head as to who the hell they were. Maybe I'm just not cool enough. It just seems like they missed the boat on that one.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

There's nothing wrong with the Pixies, but like Inky said, the Phoenix just has to be the Phoenix...I mean no matter what you think of them, you can't pick the Pixies over bands like Aerosmith or Boston etc. for best all time band from MA.

6. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

You were lost long ago if you think Elvis Presley is a better artist than Robert Johnson or BB King.

Go back to the bat-cave and download!

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I know Trent Renzor was born in Pennsylvania, but most of his early work was done in Ohio.

Some of these states have sad contributions.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Much to the chagrin of multiple board members, Nirvana was chosen for Washington. How it beat out Pearl Jam, I'm not sure.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And you go back to Wrigley and hit .220!
    Any one of those three is a good choice. If you go strictly blues, you go with Johnson or King. But when you're looking at the combination of talent, impact and even folklore (Johnson's deal with the devil is great, but Elvis has tons of stories about him that make him larger than life) there's one name that pops to mind.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

REM over the Allman Brothers in Georgia? Discuss.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Everybody Hurts, even the Allman Brothers?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Interesting list, Inky. I love discovering new music, but, for me, this list wasn't very helpful. I went through all 50 states (except W. Va.; link wasn't working) and wrote down 8 bands I thought were worth giving another listen. I hadn't even heard of many of the state's "best." Alabama was the only state for which I knew and enjoyed the best band and best artist and liked the must-see selection.

Also, while I'm not a huge Dylan fan, a toss-up between him and Prince? Please, that's ridiculous. The man's influence on music cannot be overstated.

Draft saved Draft deleted