1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

5 people you would listen to reading the phone book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Sep 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Teddy KGB
    James Mason
    Arthur Hill
    John Houseman
    June Foray or Paul Frees (can't decide which of their voices I would choose, though)

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Angry-drunk and sad Paulie from Rocky.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Alan Rickman
    Benedict Cumberbatch
    Carlo Rota
    Raul Julia
    Ming Tsai

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was Richard Dormer, who really does have a great voice. I probably wouldn't have thought of him for this on my own, but now he's on my list. Actually, I'd take your top four (Stewart, Freeman, Jones and Dormer).

My fifth is Seth MacFarlane. Props to mcprincipal for bringing him up. MacFarlane's vocal talent does seem to get lost among the other stuff.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What is this ... phone book ... you speak of?

Chef2 and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

For some reason, Dormer's voice has stuck with me. I looked him up as I was watching GoT because I found it so amazing.

7. outofplace

For those who haven't heard him, here is a fan-made video focusing on Dormer's character.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

So if you're not a GoT aficionado, the opening voice is the hound. And then there's a red priest talking. Donderrion is the one with the eye patch and often holding the flaming sword who kept coming back to life. And yeah, that voice just thrills me.

9. outofplace

I've always been interested in voice acting. There are some actors who do some amazing work when we can't see them. I only had one on my list, Seth MacFarlane, though he has appeared more and more on camera. That said, there are quite a few who fit this thread. I was thinking of actors and actresses who primarily do voice work. There are some, like Billy West, Tara Strong, and Frank Welker, who are fantastic at what they do, but not someone you would just want to listen to reading just about anything. I came up with three off the top of my head.

Kevin Conroy
    Peter Cullen
    Steve Blum

My geekdom is clearly showing with a list that includes the voices of Batman, Optimus Prime and Wolverine, in that order.

Batman likes this.
  10. outofplace

I'm guessing the effect is a bit different for me, but he does have a great voice.

It is interesting to me how few women have come up on this thread.

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

We live in a misogynistic society that trains us to recognizes certain pitches if men's voices as comfortable and soothing

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I just like men.

Reaching, but maybe Barbara Billingsley as Nanny from Muppet Babies?

Nope. I'd rather hear Carlo Rota.

Draft saved Draft deleted