1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$5 for the Georgia Tech Press Box meal? Robbery or sign of the times?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by eyeonsportsmedia, Nov 29, 2009.

1. A lot of jaws were dropping in the Georgia Tech press box last night as they rolled out the buffet for the working press: Tech charged $5 a head per visit to the line.

Now granted, for $5 the meal was not too bad (except for the collard greens that looked like mud stew) and they had all you can drink sweet tea, but still it was enough to get people talking over the food.

What other schools are you seeing charging the working press for a pre-game meal, especially for a night game? Since people will likely, at least for now, get reimbursed by their employers, does it really matter?

Perhaps it is time to start a fundraiser for the ACC so they don't have to make up for lost BCS dollars from the hides of everyone else?

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

$5 for AYCE is still pretty decent, dodgy collard greens notwithstanding.

I believe this has come up here before with some of the big schools starting to charge for food. It's part for the course in the pros, at least based on anecdotal evidence and my limited exposure to it. Probably a reasonable way to recoup costs. It's still better than trying to get $5 worth of food at the concessions.

3. Was not AYCE. and yes much better quality and value than the concessions...

4. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

A fiver isn't much for a meal, or even a $10.

If a newspaper will reimburse for a meal that shouldn't be a concern. I'm surprised more schools aren't doing this.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Ah. I saw "buffet" and assumed AYCE.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

It's the sign of the times, I'm afraid. The Home Depot Center charges for meals during the MLS season and Staples Center charges for meals during the WNBA season. If those pro leagues are doing it, makes sense for colleges to do it too.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/72722/

8. Ice9

Ice9 Member

The answer is C) Neither. Five bones is nothing to be made a fuss over, unless we're talking Starbucks.

9. writingump

writingump Member

At least Georgia Tech's food is worth the price. When I was there in October for the Va. Tech game, they served fajitas, some kind of salad and cheesecake. Maryland charges $15 and their spread was unappetizing. And yes, this is a sign of the times. I'd say the places which don't charge will be in the minority before we know it.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That just sucks that you are there working and don't have many options for food and they charge. Why not just offer snacks and skip the meal all together?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Plenty of people go to work and don't get free food provided for them, nor are they provided enough time to go out and get anything. Somehow, they all manage to survive.

Exactly how many threads do we need to have on this topic, anyway?

12. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

But are those people working on the road, away from their normal work space?

I ask that because I know I don't care if the team I cover feeds us for home games or not -- but because I cover all the games there, I know what to expect in that regard. But when I'm on the road, it would be really helpful to know whether or not I'd want to try to stop for something somewhere instead of just relying on the press meal if it was either a) non-existent, or b) the same price as a meal I could have bought at the location of my choosing before getting to the stadium/arena, navigating the parking, etc.

The problem here, I'm guessing, is not so much the cost/availability of a press meal but the fact that a free meal was a given for so long that having a pay meal or no meal at all can leave people unprepared.

I'm fairly sure Georgia Tech, for instance, lets it be known in the info that comes with your pass/parking that the meal is five bucks, the same way it lets you know that it has press box wireless and where postgame is, etc. But if not every school/team makes it clear what their policy is, it can be confusing or can leave people on an empty stomach all day in a travel situation. That's why there are repeated threads here about the subject: It's a legitimate working concern, not an oh-man-the-free-food-rules/sucks/isn'tthereanymore kind of topic.

Draft saved Draft deleted