1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

5 days, 12 states, 2,876 miles

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Oct 23, 2007.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Observations from my just-completed trip:

-- There is some awesome scenery this time of the year. For someone who moved away from the change of seasons many years ago, it was great to see all the brilliant colors.

-- I'm not sure what's to be gained by this, but Georgia is trying to corner the market on the orange and white traffic barrels.

-- When did it become fashionable to go down the middle lane of the interstate at 75 mph, then decide, about 50 feet before it's too late, that this is your exit? I can't believe the number of times I saw this.

-- If you're in a hurry, the odds double that the pay-at-the-pump receipt dispenser doesn't work.

-- I didn't realize how awful fast food is.

-- Are all college football broadcast teams homers? No way you can listen to this garbage for three hours.

-- And now, a public service announcement: Today's cars come with all sorts of new safety features. Many of you will be surprised to learn that one of these is a turn signal indicator. Yes, it's true. Next time you get behind the wheel, look at the left side of the steering column; that's what that 5- or 6-inch lever is. What's neat about this is that if you use it properly, it lets the other drivers around you know that it's your intention to turn, or change lanes, and we don't have to wonder if you're dozing off or just trying to use the entire road. I know, I know, you only have so many hands, and you need one for your coffee and one for the phone.
  2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

1) It's about time Illinois fell off that leaderboard.

2) You speak the truth.
  3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Sounds like a hell of a trip.

[img height=300 width=250]http://www.geocities.com/jyroflux/dvds/CannonballRun.jpg[/img]
  4. There is nothing that unites our country today quite like a complete disregard for turn signals.

This applies to the Northeast, the Midwest, the Southeast, the West, everywhere. How difficult is it to flick a lever for 3-4 seconds before you change lanes or cut in front of someone else?
  5. rallen13

rallen13 Member

I love flying and have a (inactive) private pilot's license, but you are so right trifectarich, going by car is the only way to fly. The Rockies, Mississippi River, Statue of Liberty, Gateway Arch, et al, just don't cut it from 35,000 feet. Besides, the bathrooms are usually more comfortable at a Shell station that in a 727.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Impressive trip, sure...

But you ain't got nothing on this guy:

(from LA Observed.com)

A new book released this week, The Driver: My Dangerous Pursuit of Speed and Truth in the Outlaw Racing World, describes a wild cross-country drive that broke the previous record by averaging 90 miles an hour between New York and Los Angeles. That includes six gas-and-bathroom stops and dodging state troopers, says author Alexander Roy.

Because of the dubious legality and the absence of a sanctioning body, transcontinental and endurance-driving records are hard to quantify. Roy did not disclose his accomplishment for more than a year to coordinate with the release of his book, a difficult feat considering that bragging rights are among the only spoils of the pursuit. In the past two days, however, word of the run has surfaced on automotive Web sites, prompting debate about the record and about the safety of the attempts.

Roy, the 35-year-old president of Europe by Car, a high-end car rental agency based in New York, has achieved fame in automotive circles for participating in road rallies like the Gumball 3000 and Bullrun...A relentless self-promoter with a shiny bald head, Roy became known for driving in a mock German police car dressed as an officer. He reasoned the outfit could help keep him out of jail and win style points with judges and notoriety with fans.

The BMW M5 that made the run was fitted with a laser jammer to scramble police speed-enforcement equipment, ground-to-air radio, two night-vision monitors, four global positioning system units, CB radio, high-performaance brakes, racing clutch and 20-gallon fuel cell in the trunk.
Draft saved Draft deleted