1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

5 cops killed, more injured during protests against police in Dallas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jul 7, 2016.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Then the enlightened but beleaguered citizenry will burn the city down.

2. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Dash cam video shows that Scott does not meet the normal police standards to be considered a shooter : A person with a gun, holding it long enough to be considered a shooter when, after their second foot is on the ground and they are able to control and point their gun.
    Scott appears to be backing up with his hands by his sides, At no point does he appear to make an athletic, forward move with a gun in hand.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Plus, was there anyone in danger of being shot? Looked like they were all behind cars.

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Exactly.What made the cops think he had a gun in first place. How could they even tell from where they were ?

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Job action by one of the good unions?

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I am not sure, but I heard the officer who fired the shots is African American. And the two officers behind the pickup are white. I think the black officer must have been on the other side of the SUV from which Scott emerged, and could not see his hands.

If you read the earlier reports, he was observed first by two undercover cops parked next to him. They observed him smoking a blunt, and then later on with a gun. That led them to leave the scene and return with more officers in uniform. So, they went into this mess knowing he had a gun in his vehicle (not sure if he had it on him when he emerged). Then, failure to obey orders led to this.

At least, that seems to be the police version.

Unfortunately, this is like the fog of war. I don't like making a reference to war, but there are weapons involved, sometimes on both sides. Anything you can do to cut through that fog and make it clear to officers you are not a threat, the better your chance of survival of the encounter, regardless of who you are and your background.

That said, I don't understand why more shots aren't aimed at the legs. And why three rounds had to be ripped off. Barney Fife and Harry Callahan used revolvers, which make you have to be more judicious in your skills, aim and ammo conservation.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Did the NFL write those standards?

Earthman likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If all that's true, is it illegal to own a gun and have it visible in your car? Or is that only an issue if you're black?

Maybe we need more good guys with guns to prevent other good guys with guns from shooting guys who may or may not be good and may or may not have a gun.

LongTimeListener and cranberry like this.
  9. Vombatus

There's probably more to it than that - I would expect they ran the license plate and knew a bit about who they were dealing with before they rolled up on him.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you are smoking marijuana at the time it is. Even if the guy had every permit in existence, that invalidates them.

What I want to know is what crime the unrelated third party committed that was so serious that they felt undercover cops needed to serve the arrest warrant yet trivial enough that they instantly abandoned their original mission as soon as they saw Scott.

Donny in his element and Ace like this.
  11. Vombatus

They didn't instantly abandon their warrant service. They saw the blunt first, and continued on about their business. It was only when they saw the gun that they decided they needed to follow up on that.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Did jury duty once. Got elected foreman. Convicted on one charge of firing a gun, acquitted on a different charge. I think it was 2004.

Draft saved Draft deleted