1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

5.6 earthquake in California?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

So says my sister who lives in Santa Clara. She was born and raised far away and has little experience with earthquakes. I know 5.6 isn't major, but I hope everyone in that area is safe.

Thought I'd post this in case desk folks who might not have known otherwise would know.

Her report: Just had a 5.6 earthquake here. Everything shook for about a minute. (Husband) was on the train on his way home. He didn't feel a thing. They stopped the train to check the tracks. I got under the door frame in the kitchen until the shaking stopped. Was by far the worst one I have been through.

Love,

JD's Sister

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

and the CNN report
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/30/california.quake/index.html

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

AP is reporting the temblor 9 miles east of San Jose. No reports of damage so far.

5. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Just heard from my brother who lives in San Jose. Said it shook pretty well, and his young kids got pretty freaked out. Everyone's OK, though. He said he didn't see or experience any property damages.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Here are the details.
    http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/nc40204628.htm

If you're on top of a 5.6, it's a good shaker. Stuff will fall off the shelves/walls. I've been in worse ones. Unfortunately.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, 5.6 doesn't sound like much, but 5.6 is shakin' like a mofo if you're in it. It's probably not enough to do serious damage, but enough to scare the hell out of you while you wait for the shaking to stop.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was in a 5.something in Seattle once and it shook like crazy. Especially because I was on the third floor of an apartment building.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I talked to my sister a little while ago - she lives in Atwater, which is near Modesto - and they definitely felt it. Said it rocked her place pretty good.
    No reports of damage in her town.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Maybe it was aftershocks from the people who live above me in my apartment complex. It's near midnight and it sounds like they're moving furniture all the time.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a homegrown son of earthquake country (and survivor of the Loma Prieta) a 5.6 feels significant but you know enough to know that its not going to cause any damage. You only hope that its not the precursor to the 7.0+ that would do major damage.

I was in the Oracle Arena for the Warriors game when it hit and I felt it and thought I hope I'm not in this mass of humanity when a big one hits. Looked around and no one even reacted. I thought there was a slight chance that it could have been the arena "rocking" with the cheering but was pretty sure it was an earthquake. Looked up the national seismic website to find out if it was an earthquake and sure enough 5.6 shows.

12. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

I was in philosophy class in Tacoma when that one hit. I just sat there stunned while a classmate drug me under the table.

Draft saved Draft deleted