1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

49ers to ESPN: F*** Off

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Apr 29, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I posted a story I heard about the 49ers on the NFL draft thread and I thought it deserved a thread of its own.
    The story goes that the 49ers had a conference call for media so that they could talk to the draft picks. A few minutes into the call a producer from ESPN cuts in and says that they need Patrick Willis for an interview and a 49ers staffer told the producer to hang on for a few minutes and that it would happen as soon as the conference call was over.
    The producer said something along the lines, this is ESPN and you'll do what we say which caused the 49ers PR person to fire back with some F bombs.

Here's SF Chronicle's coverage from beat writer Kevin Lynch's blog...
    Here's the link: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=10&entry_id=15934

Doesn't say anything about F bombs but buzz off in the strongest of terms sounds like an F bomb to me.
    Also doesn't say who the 49ers staffer was either. Like to know since I want to send a thank-you card, maybe some candy.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Ha, ha. Berman is going to freak about this. Yes!

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I can almost guarantee that Berman won't flip out about this, since he's not at the draft. And, ESPN or not, don't interrupt conference calls and demand to talk to anyone.

4. Good for them/ It'll take longer now for the world to discover what a meatheaded trade to NE they made.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That was Oakland, Fenian.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Willis is a f-ing stud, and a helluva story.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Aaron Salkin is the director of public relations for the 49ers.
    He has big ones. He's also told Arthur Blank (Home Depot/Atlanta Falcons) to fuck off because he wasn't willing to continue to cover for a certain QB.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

The Niners traded next season's first pick for the Pats first rd. pick (#28 overall) yesterday.....I think thats what Fenian's referring to.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That wasn't even one of the five worst trades made during the draft, but I'll give Fenian the benefit of the doubt.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

bizarre all the way around. good for the PR guy but i'd be surprised if he didn't get a reprimand from the league office.

that said, what about your post-draft press conference being at the fan party? couldn't they get nolan for a few minutes before he addressed the crowd? me, i hate public speaking. i used to get nervous asking questions in front of big crowds (but by big, i mean major event press conference big - maybe 200-300 people). i wouldn't want to ask questions in front of thousands of fans.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

salkin rocks. and i doubt the nfl will reprimand him. well-played, aaron -- or whichever of your aides did this.

12. skippy05

skippy05 Member

Good for SF...I've worked with some of the Worldwide Leader's castoffs and you've never seen a group of peons with such an exagerated sense of self-importance...

Draft saved Draft deleted