1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

49ers send Aldon Smith to rehab UPDATE detained for reported LAX bomb threat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 23, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: 49ers send Aldon Smith to rehab

Details from his house party last year that ended with him getting stabbed and two other people getting shot:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_24169848/details-emerge-about-2012-party-at-san-francisco

--He tried to break up the party by telling guests "I'm Aldon Smith." He is kind of a big deal.

--After someone fired three shots into his garage -- where people were standing -- Smith went to his room, got his gun and fired a warning shot off the balcony.

--After Smith was stabbed, teammate Delanie Walker got his own gun and fired it as another warning shot.

--There was some gang back-and-forth.

The 49ers' stance that Smith's problems are just coming to light now is a pretty good joke.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What kind of attention did the 2012 party receive at the time?

I'm also curious to know what a gang slur sounds like:

As Smith walked out of the garage, he had a brief encounter with another person who voiced "a gang slur" to him, Carrubba said.

3. LongTimeListener

I don't know the gang slur. As for the house party, it was pretty big news and it was known that he was stabbed, though this report is apparently surfacing for the first time.

There was also some Twitter talk that when he went back to Mizzou during the 49ers' bye last season, he got jumped. That takes one bad mofo to jump Aldon Smith on the street. Smith denied it, but whatever happened there did result in a 2 a.m. police call.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It never ceases to amaze me how often these guys get challenged in bars. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Smith on any level, but as LTL said, "What kind of a person jumps or tries to start a fight with a NFL defensive lineman?"

I'm stunned how often it happens. When I covered colleges, I was at a bar and two defensive players came in and sat quietly at a table and within 20 minutes two chumps were challenging them to a fight. One of these guys was a top 5 pick and the other guy went in a later round, but had a pretty good 9 or 10-year run in the NFL.

A guy I covered in the NFL told me he stopped going out because for every person who would ask for his autograph or buy him a drink, there would be another trying to fight him.

A lot of stupid people out there...

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't need to know what the actual gang slur was. I'd just be interested in knowing what a generic gang slur sounds like.

"You're mother's so ugly, a Gangster Disciple wouldn't even fuck her with a Latin King's dick!"

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Had a friend just get out of jail tonight after serving 30 days for a DUI. Never was offered the chance to go to rehab. Much less have someone else pay for it.

So it's hard for me to feel too sorry for Mr. Smith, who needs to get his drinking under control and face reality like the rest of society.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If you get one (1) DUI or alcohol-related arrest, you are done.
    DONE!
    No more drinking for you.
    Have the good sense to fold.
    You no longer deserve to play.

8. LongTimeListener

Smith faces three felony charges after police found assault weapons at his home following that 2012 party. He bought the weapons in Arizona in December 2011 while in town for a Cardinals-49ers game; the weapons are illegal to own in California.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/49ers-Aldon-Smith-Faces-Felony-Weapons-Charges-DA-227093931.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_BAYBrand

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

So he bought them in Arizona, then apparently transported them back to San Francisco while traveling home with the team? That's a rough spot to put your employer in. Equally damning was the reaction when Harbaugh was asked if he was the one who picked up Smith from jail.

I think it's a safe bet that Smith doesn't play again this season, and the question now turns to if he plays again for the Niners.

10. LongTimeListener

I initially thought of the transport thing, but there's no way the team could be that stupid, is there?

My guess is one of his gangster buddies drove the guns back to California. Probably the guy who wrecked the car in a single-car accident with Smith as a passenger last year.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Looks like they played on Sunday afternoon and then had a Monday night game the next week. Theoretically, he could have handled his own transportation back to San Francisco.

But given the decisions he's (allegedly) made, I doubt he was thinking that clearly to protect the team by not transporting illegal guns back to California on the charter plane.

12. LongTimeListener

Yeah but the team would check bags, right? Maybe not, but I thought even charters went through at least some kind of screening.

That's an interesting question and I'm sure they will be oh so forthcoming with answers.

Draft saved Draft deleted