1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

49ers send Aldon Smith to rehab UPDATE detained for reported LAX bomb threat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 23, 2013.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Re: 49ers send Aldon Smith to rehab

I like how the "classy" 49ers came out and said Smith had a problem after the game. He had a problem BEFORE the game. Letting him play sent a terrible message to the fans, namely those good folks whose lives have been altered by a drunk driver.

Some athletes take rehab seriously (Chris Mullin), while others give it lip service (Dwight Gooden) and continue their destructive ways. Whichever direction Smith goes, his team needs a lot of work, too.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Good points.
    This is a team whose doofus coach gets in trash-talking battles with other coaches and players.
    They don't know anything about class or professionalism.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Schefter reports Smith will miss a month, which tracks pretty well with the guesses of a 30-day inpatient stay.

The 49ers' explanation, particularly the timeline, is too cockamamie for even the most delusional fanboi to believe. They decided Friday to let him play Sunday because his mindset was good, and then they sent him to rehab after that, and they did none of this without seeing where the wind was blowing with their fans.

Oh yeah. Certainly.

Tell you what, if this helps torpedo the season and if Harbaugh is not behind it ... I mean, with that guy's personality it is not difficult to see a Jimmy Johnson/Parcells/Denny Green situation developing with ownership.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If this is the narrative that they are trying to sell, then it speaks volumes about how arrogant they are and how stupid they think everyone outside the organization is. Plus the pretending that they are just now finding out that Smith may have had a problem? With the crack security staff and former FBI agents they always talk about the league and teams having - on top of his prior legal problems? Please.

This kind of thing can torpedo the season of a good team. For a team that is probably good but has shown plenty of warts these last 2 weeks, it could get real ugly and real entertaining very quickly.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Harbaugh has the temperament and ego that could tear a team apart.
    Already reports of friction between Harbaugh and Gore.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He's definitely unterutilizing Gore.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think I'd let the counselors evaluate him first before I'd make such a judgment.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Again, not to sound overly cynical, but they probably looked at the schedule and figured they would win three of the next five with or without Smith.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That would be a dangerous assumption.

At Rams (who knocked them around twice last year), vs. Texans, vs. Cardinals, at Titans, at Jags. I see only Jacksonville as the guarantee, though the Arizona game should be winnable. Keep in mind it looks like Willis is going to miss at least Thursday and they still don't know when Vernon Davis will be back.

But even if they win three of five, they are sitting at 4-4 and the division is out of reach in all likelihood.

10. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, and the schedule gets a lot tougher after the bye. I'm curious how Seattle will play on the road. If they're as bad as they were last season, 10-6 could be enough to win the division.

Thursday will be interesting. Even when the Niners are good, or supposed to be good, they almost always seem to lose to the Rams on the road.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

From the second half of the season on the Seahawks were fine on the road. Different team.

12. Mizzougrad96

I tend to agree. But we'll have a pretty good idea in two weeks. They have the Colts and Texans on the road back-to-back and have four of their next five on the road. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they go 4-1 during that stretch. If that's the case, pencil them into the Super Bowl...

Draft saved Draft deleted