1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

49ers Leaving San Francisco - or just posturing?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Re: 49'ers Leaving San Francisco - or just posturing?

BYH,

There's an exit off Highway 101 to Candlestick!

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Blame Eddie DeBartolo for some bad non-financial moves as well. After all, wasn't he the owner who tried so badly to get the taxpayers to cough up new digs that he tried to count votes of the deceased in an attempt to push it through?

That man and Carmen "Make My Own" Policy are scum. Kudos to any diehard fan of the franchise, but excuse me for laughing at karma biting the the organization in the a_s.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Man, I forgot about that voting fiasco. All DeBartolo's and Policy's scandals just seem to run together. Was that DeBartolo, too? What a freaking joke him and Policy, etc. were and are.

Sam, I'm completely with you on this. I despise DeBartolo and Policy, and their fraudulent "Winning with Class" bullsh*t. They are utter scum.

I got into an argument with 49'ers fan "Columbo" on here the other day regarding the 49'ers salary - cap cheating ways, specifically regarding the 1994 'Championship' team. I haven't had time to follow - up on his "I'm rubber, you're glue" comments to me, but that time will come.

Good to see some others who haven't fallen for the hype, either.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't want to use the term "fraud" - it's thrown around this board entirely too much - but there was something very fishy about DeBartolo and Policy. When Policy was asked if he was mortgaging the future to get all those players under the cap in '94 and how he was paying all these players within the rules, Policy almost exploded at the media. Scum. Pure scum.

And DeBartolo? Good grief ... talk about inheriting Daddy's money and tossing it all out the window. One can't help being born with a silver spoon in one's mouth - don't most of us wish we were? - but one can avoid acting above the law when one has that kind of money and resources at his disposal. Good riddance. Yes, current ownership is a bunch of skinflints and have run that franchise into the ground, but to the best of our knowledge, the Yorks aren't criminals.

Whether or not Policy blatantly broke the rules and/or spirit of the salary cap can be debated forever. Policy splintered the spirit of the cap, but as to whether he out-and-out broke it I cannot say - if I were a capologist, I think I'd be working for one of these organizations that seems to have great difficulty crunch numbers instead of making the pitiful numbers in my checkbook work without constant fear of red ink.

But one thing is for certain: The way in which Policy threw money around sold that franchise up the river for years. So as far as I'm concerned, the Niners are experiencing the other side of the blade. Let them slip into the woodchipper.

5. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Move 'em to Boise. I mean, the WAC is big-time football now, so surely they're ready for a pro team.

Seriously, I'm not sure I fully understand how The L.A. wouldn't want a pro team. Could someone clue my dumb ass in?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A) It's November. Sun's still out. ... I went to the beach on Sunday. I might do it again next Sunday. Who needs football?

2) Who needs football? We got 'SC if we want big-time football. We got UCLA if we want Triple-A football. San Diego's not *that* far away, really. ... We got every other sport, too. ... No NFL? Oh well, I'll catch the Lakers instead. I can watch Pats-Colts on hi-def anyway.

III) If the NFL did come, where would they play? ... Coliseum? Too ghetto. No way I'm trekking down there for the relocated Ain'ts or Niners. ... Rose Bowl? Pasadena would revolt with game-day traffic coming in Saturdays AND Sundays. ... Anaheim? Maybe. But Angelenos wouldn't claim that team, you can bet. ... New stadium -- where? Carson? The I.E.? Not a chance.

No NFL, no problem.

It's been 12 years since we had a team here. Ain't hurtin' the league. Ain't hurtin' us.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The bringing-the-NFL-back-to-L.A. ship sailed a long time ago. Ain't happening.

USC's surge under Coach Fredo -- they're running a professional program, anyway, if Yahoo's Bush investigation is to be believed -- makes it more of a certainty.

They've already got a generation of L.A. kids who grew up without the league in their backyard, and I'm sure they can deal with another one.

And I don't have impirical evidence on this, but I've heard ratings in L.A. have gone up since the Raiders/Rams bailed.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, The 49ers are already in Santa Clara. They just play in San Francisco.

9. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

It's logical that ratings would climb without the Rams & Raiders. I live in NYC, and I'm stuck with the Giants (who I hate, so I don't watch), and the Jets who I like but are always bad. We get the Jets and Giants every Sunday and miss the best games. I had to watch the Jets play the Browns instead of the Colts play the Broncos. Let them leave and I can watch the best games each week, which will boost ratings. I don't go to the games in person, so to me the NFL exists only on TV.

Put a team in LA and the ratings will go down, unless the team is a dominant Super Bowl contender.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

One side note should this happen (and I really hope it doesn't)--unlike the other most recent franchise moves (Colts, Cards, Browns), the helmet, which has always been one of my favorites, would have to change:

[​IMG]

11. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

I can't imagine an NFL without the SAN FRANCISCO 49ers. It would be like moving the Dodgers or the Giants or the Braves! It's unthinkable!

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Please get the apostrophe out of the thread title, for the love of God.

Draft saved Draft deleted