1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

49er cornerback smacked, apologizes for saying what he thinks.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog eat dog world, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8898839/2013-super-bowl-chris-culliver-anti-gay-remarks-rejected-san-francisco-49ers

So cornerback Chris Culliver had to slip out of coverage during Super Bowl practice week.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/30/nfl-niners-chris-culliver-makes-anti-gay-comments/1878311/

His original remark was "I don't do the gay guys man. I don't do that."
    and...
    "No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do. Can't be with that sweet stuff. Nah…can't be…in the locker room man. Nah."

I haven't seen any video of it, but this could have been stated with a giggle, or it could have been stated angrily. Big difference.

Also, he does not hire so he can't discriminate in the workplace.

It's to the point where the right to express an opinion, protected under the First Amendment, is trumped by political correctness in all forms, so as it isn't from a conservative angle.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

More evidence of the wussification of America.

We are now not just a nation of wusses, we are a nation of self-serving bullshit apologies as well.

What's next - this dumb ass will go to Jeremy Schapp, then Oprah then Katie Couric to tell the world his side of things?

Give me a fucking break.

Just once I wish one of these guys would say "I said it, get over it."

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Really, Zag.

When the rubber hits the road, PC goes out the window. "I don't do no gay (fill in the blank)....."

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

All the people who posted before Vers...are they allowed to be in the same place at once? Kind of like the theory that president and vice president and secretary of state shouldn't be together.

Ifilus excepted.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

1) Has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment. Nothing.

2) What right-thinking business owner in San Francisco would permit an employee to bad mouth homosexuals?

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Steve Young had no comment about this 49ers no-gay policy.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Echo what Azrael said. This has nothing to do with the first amendment. If you think it does, walk out of your workplace and start shouting racist and homophobic things at people who walk by and 1) see if the first amendment -- which applies to Congress passing laws, not to being a moron who says things that offend people and give your employer a PR headache -- keeps you from being fired. 2) see if the first amendment protects you from people getting angry at you for being a homophobic asshole--and worse, one without the sense to at least keep your mouth shut about it when there is a crowd around.

Oh, and the tread title kind of misses it, of course. He apologized for saying what he thinks. .. and to finish it and make it more accurate: BECAUSE HE SAID SOME REALLY DISGUSTING THINGS AND PEOPLE WERE OFFENDED.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What if it were Justin Smith speaking.

And Justin Smith had said: "I don't do the niggers, man."

Just speaking his mind, right?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Awwwww, the three assholes who posted first on this thread are sad because people can't express their true feelings and denigrate gays without people speaking up. It's hilarious how idiots like this over and over again claim their First Amendment rights are abridged by others using their First Amendment rights.

Sorry your Neanderthal exclusionary views are being margianalized. Enjoy your Chick-Fil-A while the rest of educated society moves on without you

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Was just coming here to post something similar. I'm guessing Word Salad doesn't truck with the gays, either.

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

He wasn't denigrating gays. No "faggot" or any other insulting label. He was expressing his discomfort about working with them. But coming from the liberal base of this room, silencing their enemies is just what they desire. Opinions are tolerable opinions so long as it is liberal-approved. Same thing with their feeble but not-dead-yet attempt to silence talk radio.

And, apparently from the poster's thread, so is misspellings so long as they come from the pc viewpoint. Let "an enemy of the proletariat" do that or slip in grammatical error and that's a point of personal attack.
    Same with "name calling" on threads other than politics.
    Hypocrites, all.
    Woops - that's name-calling from a conservative....uh oh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.