1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I allowed to really like this Simmons column and also still be respectable?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, Nov 27, 2007.

1. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/071126&sportCat=nba

I really enjoyed the father-brainwashing-daughter-to-like-sports stuff - seems like stuff my own dad would have done if I'd been female. And it was fun seeing the sensory assault that is the "NBA Experience" through the eyes of a little girl.

And...it was sweet! Simmons never does sweet.

I liked it a lot. Is that permissible?

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

doubtful

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Try to keep it quiet.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

FWIW, I thought it was one of his best columns I've ever read.
    I think if you have to like one of his columns, that's probably the one.

But I think most of his stuff is pretty good, anyway.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've got a little girl that age, so yeah that was cute. And the two Boston references are well under his season average and appreciated by those outside New England.

All that said, I'm moving this to sports and news to avoid the inevitable "Simmons = journalism?" queries.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

...and indulge me in a story about my 2 1/2 year old girl. My wife's brother is a h.s. football coach, so we go every Friday night to the games. Of course the kid could usually care less, bouncing on the bleachers and sucking on lollipops. Her uncle's team went 8-2 in regular season and got to the second round of playoffs, losing at home to an under-.500 team. They fell behind 21-0 at halftime but came back in the second half, and with five minutes was down four and driving. All the momentum was with them and it looked like they'd probably pull it out.

Alas, at midfield the QB threw a bomb near the end zone which was picked off and returned for a TD. Home bleachers fell dead silent...except for my daughter, who yelled out "Bye-bye, football game!" The accuracy and timeliness of that comment was astounding. Of course she immediately yelled it two more times and I had to cover her mouth since some fans around us didn't share in the humor. But it was priceless.

7. Cute column.
    I'd stay away from referencing Larry Bird and his kids, though.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: Am I allowed to really like this Simmons column and also still be respectabl

Further proof that brainwashing is the only way to get people to watch the NBA. 8)

9. That's a hilarious story.

10. Excellent points.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Who the fuck gives a two-year-old Sprite?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In the middle of reading it, and this line is really funny:

Draft saved Draft deleted