1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/assistant sports editor - Hanover, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TopNotch1127, Nov 24, 2007.

1. TopNotch1127

TopNotch1127 New Member

The Evening Sun, an award-winning 21,000-daily based in Hanover, Pa., is looking for a sports writer or assistant sports editor. Our current assistant sports editor is joining the Navy, and it has not yet been determined how the position will be filled (either from within or an outside candidate). Regardless, there will be an opening, and it needs to be filled quickly.

The main between the two positions is the assistant will write more features and design pages about three times a week. But for both positions, the candidate will likely cover girls' basketball during the winter, which is very big in the area. We have 10 high schools in our coverage area, and each person covers a sport, rather than a few of the schools. Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, NewsEditPro and Adobe InDesign is a definite plus. Send resumes and clips to Marc Charisse, Editor in Chief, 135 Baltimore St., Hanover, PA 17331 or e-mail mcharisse@eveningsun.com.

Feel free to PM me for details.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

It's a hard-working, blue collar area that does enjoy their sports. I will vouch for the area. I don't know much of the paper, but I have spent some time in the town.

3. TopNotch1127

TopNotch1127 New Member

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I like Marc and have interviewed there for other openings, but I'm wondering why he's not letting the SE take control of the search. That's a red flag, IMO.

5. TopNotch1127

TopNotch1127 New Member

From my understanding, Marc is a pretty hands-on guy, and he forwards all applications to Chuck (the SE). So, although you send the resumes to Marc, Chuck definitely has a say.

6. LemMan

LemMan Member

As I mentioned in the other opening thread, I worked there for 4 years - though not under Marc - and can answer any questions, though I'm sure things have changed since I left there in the summer of '04.

It's not a bad place to start at all. The town isn't too happening, but the people I know who still work there are great people. Housing and stuff is affordable, and you'll get to cover your fair share of solid athletes.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I see girls' basketball is part of the job description. Some pretty good girls' programs around there, topped by Delone Catholic.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This is still open -- or it never was filled. Reposted tonight on jjobs.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've only seen the paper once, but it's not a bad place to live. There's not a whole lot going on there, but it's not too far away from York, Pa., or the Baltimore-D.C. area.

10. doublej

doublej New Member

This paper has seen a lot of turnover lately. But a lot of that has been good people moving on to bigger and better things. When the sports staff is running at full strength, they have three writers -- with one guy serving as an ASE who will occasionally do layout -- in addition to the SE. In the last six months, all three of those writers moved on (one to a bigger paper in Md., one to the Daily Record down the road in York and one to the Navy).

Like people have said before, the social scene in Hanover leaves a bit to be desired. But this isn't a bad shop for a young person who is looking to improve.

11. TopNotch1127

TopNotch1127 New Member

The reason why it was reposted on jjobs is because I gave my two weeks notice. After reading everything about jobs being bagged by the truck load, as well as my own unhappiness after such a short time in the field, I knew that this career path wasn't for me.

I would suggest that whoever applies from this job be from somewhere nearby with friends or family in the area. As others have said, there's not much to do in Hanover, and your social life is already screwed up enough because of the hours that even if there were things, you probably couldn't experience them.

I'd also suggest that the person has thick-skin because in this area, every parent or fan (especially wrestling) thinks they invented the sport and its philosophies. I've received plenty of e-mails and nasty phone calls in my 2 1/2 months here.

Like I said, PM me for other details.

12. doublej

doublej New Member

At least they're reading.

Draft saved Draft deleted