1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP news alert

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Writer33, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Writer33

Writer33 Member

AP moved an alert saying the space shuttle returned home from a "heroic" mission. When did the AP become Pravda?

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

At least they didn't write "an heroic mission."

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No national pride for what our space program does anymore? I think it's fucking amazing. Especially when you consider the "space walk" the one astronaut went on to fix a solar panel. I think heroic works just fine.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The use of "heroic" is hyperbole of the first order. I would hope it was fixed in the write-thru.

5. Writer33

Writer33 Member

It was also used in the story's lede.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

In a straight news story, evaluative terms like heroic have little if any place being there.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Besides being editorializing.

8. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I have much respect for the space program, but it's a news story, not an editorial.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

More like it:

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - The space shuttle Discovery landed safely at its Florida home base on Wednesday after a grueling but successful 15-day construction mission that prepared the International Space Station for new laboratories.

This is OK, too:

Nov. 7 (Bloomberg) -- The shuttle Discovery touched down safely today in Florida, capping a two-week mission that expanded the space station's interior and repaired unexpected damage to its solar wings.

10. I prefer:

"Space Shuttle Lands, Doesn't Explode."

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I am curious why this thread was yanked off the j-topics board ...

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Successful," not "heroic."

Repairing the solar panel was a commendable achievement, but having competent personnel in orbit to perform such repairs is part of the whole justification for manned spaceflight and the ISS in the first place. It's pushing the envelope of what is considered to be normal EVA capabilities. In 5 years, stuff like this will be considered routine.

Draft saved Draft deleted