1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

49 years ago today ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Nov 22, 2012.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dafuq I do?

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

As opposed to say this one (facing the limo straight on from Houston Street just before the turn)?

Guess "Oswald" was looking for degree of difficulty points.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Good stuff, Tony.

Interesting how they had the 3 shots from the first announcement. But, they had Kennedy being shot once and Connally twice.

And the first reference to a possible shooting location was the grassy knoll. Then the Depository second floor window, then the 5th floor.

Wonder where they were getting their information. Almost as if it was a no, getting warmer, you're red hot sequence.

Interesting about the first guy they brought into custody---skinny white male, early twenties. Again, you're close, but not quite there yet.

4. No matter how many times I would drive to work on that route, it would never fail to give me pause. Of course, Houston St. traffic flows the opposite way, so there's that.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Some three decades ago, I flew into Dallas for the first time to cover a game and arrived very late. Got checked into my room at the Hyatt, went to bed. Woke up in morning, threw open the drapes ... and I was staring down at the Plaza. All those iconic images/angles, scaring the hell out of me all over again. Almost made me want to shout a warning, 20 years too late.

Was in grade school at time, and learned of the shooting when I walked back to school after lunch for afternoon portion of school day. Some little creep who was a year or two older was marching around the playground where we'd enter the school, big stomps as he changed "Kennedy's dead! Kennedy's dead!" Other kids and I were confused -- whaaa? -- and quickly got herded into classrooms, where teachers eventually broke the news.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i'm quite sure your father was a champ.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I've been a huge Kennedy Assassination buff for more than 40 years. I remember checking out the book "Four Days" (the UPI pictures and coverage of the assassination) from the school library at least twice a year when I was in grade school. I was 3 when it happened and don't have that "I remember where I was" memory. At Thanksgiving yesterday I asked my mom where we were, assuming we were at home. She said she was feeding my two-years-younger brother at the time and she was more than eight months pregnant at the time.

Anyway, I have watched a shitload of programs on the assassination -- anything I ever find on History Channel or A&E or the many National Geographic or Discovery channels -- and I'd never seen the approximately 90 minutes of coverage of CBS from that time. As you mention, lots of stuff thrown into that first 90 minutes of coverage, including the second floor stuff and the dead Secret Service agent stuff, that didn't hold up.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just catching up with this - one of the rules of the Politics thread was no spillover. It was the rule we figured would get broken early and cause it all to blow up. Nope. Everyone handled things well. Now we get spillover here? Because I'm such a nice guy, we will consider this a warning. Please don't spill anything from politics onto any other threads.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Knoll also has many possible escape routes.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always used to be able to figure out what day it was by opening the paper and seeing certain photos with captions that made the newspaper every year. The vets tossing a wreath into Pearl Harbor, the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano and Ted Kennedy and a few family members kneeling at the Eternal Flame.
    [​IMG]

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I got that book at a garage sale years ago. It's a very good read.

The part that always gets me (besides the pic of LBJ taking the oath on the plane with Jackie), is when this one ambassador started crying because his daughter, who, if I remember right, didn't speak English very well, starting singing "God Bless America".

The other thing to remember is, 49 years ago, a policeman also was killed that day. By Oswald.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Good point. J.D. Tippett was his name just of the top of my head.

I found that book at an estate sale about 20 years ago and picked it up for $3. Paging through it again right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted