1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

49 years ago today ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Nov 22, 2012.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I always look for any programming I can find regarding the JFK assassination. Today I was watching some stuff on YouTube, including some stuff I'd not seen before -- the full CBS Bulletins from the shooting until Cronkite announces that Kennedy has died.

This is part 5 of the reports. You can find the other ones on the page as you look for more.

But one thing strikes me: While scrambling for anything they can report, CBS reports that a secret service agent was killed in the shooting. This, of course, we all know did not happen. So while we've been led to believe that news organizations are so much more lax in their standards today, the link shows that the "good old days" weren't really a whole lot better.

I'm now watching Part 6 of the CBS coverage and find this stuff incredibly fascinating.

Also, there was plenty of reporting that Kennedy was dead in the minutes before Cronkite reads the UPI report confirming the death.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

On the 40th anniversary WBAP radio in Dallas replayed its coverage of that day in real time starting from the time Kennedy's plane touched down at Love Field.

The interesting thing about it was that they did not have any of the audio of the actual shooting. There was about a 45-minute gap in the coverage. They had no explanation for why its not in their archives.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

One of my favorite SNL sketches was in 1983 when there was a panel discussion among three people who didn't hear that JFK was shot until at least nine or 10 years later.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/83/83fforum.phtml

4. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Also 49 years ago today? William Clay Ford bought the Detroit Lions. Didn't get a lot of coverage in the next day's paper.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I read something once which said some look-outs sped to London with reports that they had lost Trafalgar, since the fleet was returning with flags at half-mast and drums muffled. Because Nelson died.

If we could see early reports from Thermopylae, I would expect some to be wrong.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Sorry, OT, I have some difficulty responding to any of your threads started on other topics until you finally acknowledge why, after being the most frequent and obnoxious poster on the political thread up until Nov 6, you ran and hid like a little coward for weeks after your guy lost.

You think you can just wait a few weeks then start threads about other topics and we'll all have forgotten your obnoxious schtick? Sorry, we remember.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And we're not going to do it here.

Sorry.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I promise you there are still housewives from Phoenix to Paducah still mad that they interrupted As The World Turns.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

45 years after JFK was shot, my son was born.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

old_tony, let me know when you start a thread.

I'll be happy to respond to each and every one of them, with pride.

Just to tweak Stoney and anyone else who still thinks it's so very important to seek a pound of flesh in the meaningless Message Board Wars.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Doesn't appear it was too difficult to respond. Hopefully you got some cool PMs for your sacrifice.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

meh, i think stoney has a point.

Draft saved Draft deleted