1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer fired for fabrication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Oct 26, 2007.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I hope this wasn't one of ours.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Damn. That's two Virginia sports reporters fired in less than a year for plagiarism.

What was the other guy's name? Bryan Fuell?

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

What's up with the name "Blair" and fabricating stories?

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

hell, i recently fired a reporter for plagiarism where i had a copy of the original story where 90 percent easily was word-for-word and it won't surprise me at all for her to win her unemployment case. i felt like i'd been talking to a brick wall after the phone interview with the person making the decision. he actually said something along the lines of "well, how would miss douchebag know that this (plagiarizing) was something she wasn't supposed to do?" i said, "aside from being taught that in college, it would be like having to tell a cashier not to steal money out of the register." i actually felt dirty and incredulously amused after finally ending the conversation and hanging up.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Sounds like a made-up name anyway.

6. oldhack

oldhack Member

Shouldn't be, but the reality is this: You have to be able to show that employee knew it was against the paper's policy to fabricate. Not enough to say it's something everyone learns in college or it violates a generally accepted professional standard. Hearing officer in an unemployment claim or, worse yet, an arbitrator in a dismissal hearing doesn't know or care what professional standards are, just wants evidence that you made it clear to employee that if you make it up you get fired.

7. Chalk another one up on the "too fucking lazy/stupid to really do the job" tally.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I worked in this shop for a short time, before she ever got there.

It makes me sad because the people I worked with there, for the most part, were excellent folks just trying to put out the best paper they could.

I'll never understand why some reporters do this. I just don't get it. Unfortunately it's way too easy to get fabrications into many, many papers.

9. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Read the newspaper's article about it: http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071025/NEWS01/71025002/1002/rss01

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moddy repeats advice: Don't be a fuckin' dumbass.

11. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

It's so troubling every time you read about something like this, since it impugns everyone's credibility in the business -- at least in the minds of a certain segment of the public.

And I know I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised every time I hear of it. Once Jim Palmer, the old Orioles pitcher, told me that a prominent writer (and author) "makes shit up." And Palmer said this well after his career was over, as if it was just accepted fact. Made me look at the writer, a very respected person in our profession, very differently.

And several years ago, I had a conversation with the coach of a high school basketball team I covered. He said a writer at a competing paper fabricated quotes. The coach's line to me was priceless: "It sounded like something I might have said ..." I told him to take it up with the other paper's sports editor; no way was I going to touch that.

The writer in question soon found himself elsewhere. But he's still in the business. And the kicker is, he recently told me that a major league player told him, and him only, something particularly interesting during the heat of a pennant race. Riiiight.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well, since it was a gannett paper, shouldn't she just try and claim her work methods were "innovative."? There is no excuse for what the reporter did, though there are reporters working today taking quotes from press conferences they didn't attend from other news sources sites. I'm glad reporters and copy editors are seen as the last bastion of credibilty newspapers have since management types have been getting away with similar ethical sketchiness for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted