1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Few More and He'll be in Shawn Kemp Territory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dragonfly, Oct 22, 2007.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1192980486159130.xml&coll=3

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think I have seen it all -- a guy who is being sued for being a dead beat dad is opening day care centers!

And with eight kids to seven women, hell, he could keep at least one of his day care centers up and running on his own.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I want a reality show -- Travis Henry and Jason Caffey in one house, and all their babies' mamas in another.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

In the article it states he lost out on $17 million because his career ended before the contract. Aren't NBA deals guaranteed?

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

He's past Shawn Kemp on the way to Wilt the Stilt.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This stuff ain't new, folks.

These guys have nothing on George Simpson, a driving force behind the Hudson's Bay Company in the early
    1800's.

http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/2007.11-walrus-reads-review-emperor-of-the-north-george-simpson/

Simpson was industrious and ruthless, much admired for being “more voyageur than viscount” thanks to feats such as record-setting canoe trips and a round-the-world odyssey. He was also as coarse as Coast Mountain granite, siring at least eleven children by at least eight women, referring to his Indian mistresses as “bits of brown,” and spurring the downfall (and, some suspect, the murder) of a cousin who might have discovered the Northwest Passage were it not for Sir George’s envious machinations.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Love this, that's not my babies' mommas, that's an unsecured creditor.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It said he lost out on $12 million of the $17 he earned after taxes. I thought the contracts were guaranteed, too. I know Larry Johnson got paychecks from the Knicks for a couple years after he retired.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The contracts are guaranteed. I don't know what he was talking about when he said he didn't get all the $$ because his career ended early. Even if he was forced to retire because of injury, he'd still get his money. Probably the news side reporter who did the story didn't know enough about NBA contracts to call him on that.

10. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

NBA contracts are guaranteed if you're still active, or if you get released/cut. But if you retire, you don't get your money. Which is why the Magic kept pushing Grant Hill to retire.

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

This is my favorite part:

``Caffey's assets include a $175,000 home on Fearnway Drive in Mobile, a $14,000 1967 Buick Wildcat, a $34,000 2006 Dodge Charger, two NBA championship rings he won as a member of Michael Jordan's Bulls and nearly $4,600 in household goods.''

A $14,000 1967 Buick Wildcat? Damn, that's Pimp My Ride territory.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Is it really that difficult to buy a condom, and then put it on?

Draft saved Draft deleted