1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

48 hours of chaos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Had a 48 hour slow-pitch softball tournament this weekend. This makes year 7 I have umpired this thing.

In a span of 2 days this year, I witnessed the following......

in the coed division.......two horrifically bad coed teams playing each other......23-20, 11 innings; I mean, painfully bad.........at 4am today.

In the mens division, a right-fielder who dove for a ball and caught it all while smoking a cigarette.

In the mens division, an african-american who called me a "pinche-mare" after striking him out....I may have said something to him, if A. I wasn't giggling on the inside after hearing a black man yelling at me in spanish, and B. I don't even know what the fuck that means......

In the mens division, a kid is playing third......takes a grounder square in the grill.......knocks his entire tooth out.........root and all......drives the 2 hours back to his dentist......gets it replaced.........and is back the next morning playing.......

One of the coaches of a coed team asks me to eject a male fan after the fan (who is drunk) called his wife a whore. "If you don't say something to him, I'm gonna go up there and whip his fucking ass!".

Last, but not least........in between one of the games.......some guy is walking around (in his early 20's) aimlessly with a 3/4 empty bottle of Gibley's Gin and a bottle of prescriptions.

Oh, and I completed my goal of 25 games worked. I was going to take a picture of the parking lot on Friday night where this tournament is.........it reminds you of Woodstock..........campers, tents, pregnancies, weddings, divorces, alcohol, drugs, arrests........

Son of a bitch, I love this tournament.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I'm jealous I wasn't there playing, or if I'm glad I wasn't there to get shanked.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The most I've called in a weekend is 10. Don't know how you did 25.

We used to have the Flag City Shootout. Same concept. Wild things all of the time.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pinche is an adjective that means “lousy or rotten”.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Day 1; 7pm-7am (13 games)
    Day 2; 7pm-6am (12 games)

Honestly, the hardest part of the entire weekend was the drive home. I wanted to get home to see my kid before he left for a church camp for a week. Checked out of my hotel, picked up my bag, grabbed a burrito from Sonic, and booked it home. I know I did the headbob several times before cranking up some music and rolling the windows down.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I don't really do softball, so my games are longer, so I'm sure it's an equal to 2 softball games to 1 baseball.
    But no way I'm calling games at 4 am!

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Pinche is usually "fucking" or "fucker"
    The batter may have said pinche madre or "mother fucker." If he said pinche marre it might be "you fucking missed it," which seems too polite for a drugged out, drunk batter.

Draft saved Draft deleted