1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Killeen, Tx

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Oct 1, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Killeen Daily Herald, a privately-owned 20k-circulation newspaper located in a thriving and diverse part of Central Texas, seeks sports reporter candidates who are highly motivated and online-minded to apply to join our growing news organization.

High school sports are the main attraction in our community and are a primary focus for our sports department. Our print editions cover high schools and middle schools in Killeen and Copperas Cove and a handful of smaller area schools. Our company launched a prep sports Web site this season that underscores that commitment. Go to www.KDHpressbox.com. You’ll be impressed.

Duties of the position include covering local & regional high school sports, as well as writing interesting features and personality profiles on community sports and recreation. A commitment to helping us continue to develop our online operations is expected, as is a schedule of nights and weekends. Page layout and proofreading skills are a plus.

Applicants should have two years professional experience with solid clips. Recent journalism graduates with extensive college experience or intern clips showing a variety of stories will also be considered.

Centrally located in the heart of Texas at Fort Hood's front door, Killeen is about an hour from Austin and two hours from Dallas. We offer a competitive salary, great benefits, paid vacation, sick leave and profit sharing. For immediate consideration apply online or email your resume and a cover letter to sdonna@kdhnews.com.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, God, not again. Steer clear, folks. Some alumni of Killeen can tell you why.

3. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

As an alum, I agree with The Good Doctor. It was my first job out of college. I was there for six months and got out. There have been many threads ripping this place. I'll let someone else who's been there more recently than I have rip away.

4. healingman

healingman Guest

Ahem ... uh ... yeah. I'd say run away. Been there 15 months, done that. Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. Just my experience.

5. TX Writer

TX Writer Member

I thought this paper had improved lately under new management or such, no?

Maybe I'm just confused.

6. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

Two years experience to cover high schools and middle schools?

Give me a break. They'll be lucky to get any applicants who have experience at all.

7. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

For those who have been there...why is this a bad job? Is it because of the divisions for Fort Hood and Copperas Cove?

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Butbutbut... there's profit sharing!

9. bevo

bevo Member

Yep. There's profit sharing. About the only good thing about that place for me was the low cost of health insurance and the profit sharing. When I was there I got a 1.5x return on what I put in every year. That's much better than the 3 percent match I get now. Of course, they didn't offer dental, which sucked. Think I went more than two years without visiting the dentist.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Holy shit! You're lucky to be alive.

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

So, anybody know what is so bad about this job? Just looking at the location of Killeen, it looks like the perfect location, a couple of hours from just about every major Texas city.

Is it the management? Pay? I know someone who interviewed for the same position about a year ago and said he thought it looked like a nice place. He just wasn't ready to leave home.

12. healingman

healingman Guest

O dear Jesus ... no, no, I shall let someone else on the board do the talking. I'm just going to go keep up with MLB postseason and my NHL fantasy team (Hi, Hockeybeat!!!!) :)

Draft saved Draft deleted