1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evening Sun Sports Reporter (Hanover, Pa.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by doublej, Sep 14, 2007.

1. doublej

doublej New Member

The Evening Sun in Hanover, Pa., a 21,000-circulation award-winning afternoon newspaper in southcentral Pennsylvania, needs a sports reporter to cover the area high school sports scene, about 10 schools. Also includes two Division III colleges, Division I basketball at Mount St. Mary’s, some Baltimore Orioles and Ravens and Penn State. May develop into assistant sports editor position for right candidate; pagination experience preferred. Primarily evening hours. Send resume, clips to Marc Charisse, editor, The Evening Sun, 135 Baltimore St., Hanover, Pa. 17331, or e-mail mcharisse@eveningsun.com.

2. Anyone who wants some details, feel free to let me know.

Wicked and a few others on here also have a good feel for this place.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

<apropos of nothing>My sister was born in Hanover!</apropos of nothing>

rb

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Who left? Pat the fucking man Abdalla? Wouldn't be surprised if one of their guys took the job up the road in York.

You will work your ass hard in Pretzeltown, and you will compete with MediaNews' sister paper in York (though they share a lot more copy nowadays) and the Gettysburg paper. They're trying to kill off the G'burg Times, but since the Times' parent company owns an AM and the big-time country FM in the market, they'll probably be around for a while.

Most of your coverage will be of York Adams league schools, though you will have some coverage of Gettysburg High, etc. They covered Mount St. Mary's in Emmitsburg, Md., during Jim Phelan's last season, but I think that coverage has gone out the window for the most part. And you'll rarely cross the border into Maryland, if not covering MSM.

I can't really lend any other specifics on the paper, but if you have any questions about the area, region, etc., PM me.

5. doublej

doublej New Member

Greg Swatek -- a real solid guy -- is moving on and the comment on the lack of Mount St. Mary's coverage is accurate. Adams County football is big at this paper and in the winter, high school wrestling is a huge deal. And for what it's worth, they did have a District 3 runner-up in football (South Western) last year and a kid who won a state title in wrestling.

It's a staff with two full-time writers, an ASE/writer and the SE does a fair amount of writing too. The ASE lays out pages occasionally, but basically has the same duties as the other writers. They cover every Ravens home game and split that between the three writers, so you'll get a shot to cover a few games a year. The Orioles' coverage is a bit more sporadic.

Pay and mileage (20 cents/mile if I recall) leaves something to be desired, but there are probably worse places to start.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I believe that was Governor Mifflin's Corey Houser (125). He was a truck and breezed through, but graduated in June -- if that means anything.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Probably a Delone or Hanover kid. Both programs are really good.

8. doublej

doublej New Member

Cory Beaver (171) of Littlestown was the school's first state champion this year. Back for this year too, if I'm not mistaken.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A little investigating says he is a senior now. And a AA wrestling champion isn't quite the same as AAA (Easton, Central Dauphin, Hazelton, Nazareth), but it's still something.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wouldn't sell Class AA wrestling that short. It's an interesting deal.

Went to wrestling districts a few times in the old barn in Hershey. It's interesting to watch.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And interesting that Chuck Curley isn't handling the hiring duties for this one. I know Marc is a hands-on guy (and knows his stuff), but still interesting.

12. LemMan

LemMan Member

I spent four years at The Evening Sun, three of which were in sports. I'd be happy to fill some folks in.

That said, while the SE is the same, there is a new ME, and while I have heard nice things about him, I have never worked for him.

As for the paper, there are worse places to start. And while the football isn't too strong, wrestling season is always fun, and girls basketball is good, too. Delone Catholic's girls aren't too far removed from their run of three straight state titles. Plus, the baseball - either Legion or high school - is fairly solid.

The best part of Hanover, however, is KClinger's. A ton of beers on tap, sweet eye candy and great food.

Draft saved Draft deleted