1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hal Fishman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-halfishman,0,7719129.story?coll=ktla-promo-layout

Veteran TV newsman in Los Angeles died today at age 75. Worked at KTLA Channel 5 forever.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ah, crap. That sucks.
    A fixture for decades and spanning generations on News at 10.
    This was the station I first found Keith Olbermann, who did the sports for Channel 5 in the 1980s before going to Channel 2.
    He was as hilarious then as he is now.
    RIP, Hal.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Fishman was diagnosed with colon cancer early last week. They said it spread to his liver, but man, he went fast.

This is a SoCal phenomenon, but Fishman was the ultimate anchor with gravitas -- a dying, if not dead already, species. People who worked with him said he took the journalistic tenet that you should know a little about everything and put it on steroids.

He knew a LOT about a lot of subjects, which gave his reports -- and the commentaries his station allowed him to do as a result of this -- with credibility you didn't see anywhere else. Certainly not at the O&Os here in LA.

He was a former college professor who became the longest-tenured anchor of any station in the country.

RIP to a true journalist and newsman.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

He did a great job putting up with the lesser lights as his co-anchor. Didn't love the freeway chases, though. Big loss.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

For the longest time, whenever there was a catastrophe or serious breaking news in town, we always went to KTLA first to find out what was happening.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Same here. I remember Hal being on 12-hour shifts -- and KTLA was on continuously for days -- during the King Riots.

A SoCal institution.

7. Claws for Concern

I also remember the many times he'd have to actually report on some fluff news and he'd do it like a pro even though you KNEW it was the last thing he wanted to report on.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I loved that man. I loved how he soldered on, in spite of being on a station that had long since seen better days. I didn't watch him every night, but there was some comfort knowing that he'd be there to tell me (not read me) the news.

Pretty much everyone else on LA TV news are just talking heads. Hal brought TONS to the party. I was just on KTLA's wwwsite and saw a tribute to Hal that was just around the corner from me at the Autry Center on July 31st. There's a ten-minute clip of him addressing the crowd. It's haunting in a way that you can tell he's somewhat compromised (as opposed to how we Angelenos are used to seeing him), but his steadfastness was still there.

http://ktla.trb.com/extras/ktla/60th/hal-gala.html

And for him to collapse the next day...wow. RIP, Hal. Say hi to Jerry Dunphy for us.

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

SoCal truly was blessed over the years with great TV newscasters. Loved Dr. George doing the weather on Channel 7. Jerry Dunphy -- From the desert to the sea to all of Southern California, good evening -- was up there with Hal.
    Sadly, not now.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Is Stan Chambers still going strong? Saw him on the Rose Parade pre-parade show but haven't been in LA lately.

11. Claws for Concern

Stan's still going, in fact, according to Wikipedia, he's got a book coming out in December for his 60 years.

Stan Chambers has a new book coming out in December, 2007, in time for his 60th year anniversary - News At Ten - Sixty Years With Stan Chambers with Behler Publications.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Wow. To think the guy's been on the air since 1947. I remember a couple of years ago during the huge wildfires, Chambers was doing a live shot within yards of the belching smoke, and I'm thinking, if the wind turns, there's no way this old guy can run for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted