1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An editor I'd go to war with ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Steve Smith, editor of the Spokesman-Review, puts out a memo today saying the newsroom will shrink from 8 to 12 positions in the next year.

Here's the key graph:

God bless him. The business sucks right now, but at least one guy can face and tell the truth. It's no fun, but a lot easier to take when presented that way.

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=12769

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Having worked for Steve, he was indeed an editor you'd go to war for. Probably the most honest editor I've worked for, a straight-shooter, good and bad. He actually praised you when you did good and dissed you when you did bad, but I always knew 1) he read all of the paper every day (can't say that about every one) 2) he cared about the staff and loved journalism 3) When there was bad news to deliver he wouldn't lie to you about it, spin it like its a good thing or act like he was okay with it. I'm sure as the memo gets more circulation he's going to get more resumes that he can't do anything with.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn, that was one paper I always wanted to work for. Guess that won't be happening anytime soon. Wonder if they will close their Boise bureau? Or cutback their coverage of northern Idaho.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Link is down ...

5. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Still works for me.

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

During my days in J-school, I met Steve Smith a handful of times because he always returned to him alma mater (go ducks) and recruited. I know at least a dozen folks who work there in one capacity or another and I know this sucks for them. It also sucks for those of us in the state, because Washington really hadn't been hit yet...and now it's much closer to home. Good luck to all the Spokesman folk.

7. You mean from 12 to 8, right?

8. I think they mean BETWEEN eight and 12 jobs.

9. Perhaps. Wasn't picking to be an ass ... I honestly didn't get it.

10. No, no problem. Didn't think it was an asshole question at all. The original sentence was a bit unclear.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I couldn't figure it out the first time I read it either, but I think Lyman is correct.

12. All that aside, I don't know how I feel about the memo.

I admire the editor for speaking honestly but if I'm one of his employees I don't know I'd be all that motivated.

Draft saved Draft deleted