1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

45-million-year-old brew? Chalk me down!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Precious Roy, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Don't know if this is d_b, if so please disregard and delete.
    However, if it's not... I give you the beer of ages!

From Discovery.com

Ancient Yeast Reborn in Modern Beer

Sept. 23, 2008 -- Trapped inside a Lebanese weevil covered in ancient Burmese amber, a tiny colony of bacteria and yeast has lain dormant for up to 45 million years. A decade ago Raul Cano, now a scientist at the California Polytechnic State University, drilled a tiny hole into the amber and extracted more than 2,000 different kinds of microscopic creatures.
    Activating the ancient yeast, Cano now brews barrels (not bottles) of pale ale and German wheat beer through the Fossil Fuels Brewing Company.
    "You can always buy brewing yeast, and your product will be based on the brewmaster's recipes," said Cano. "Our yeast has a double angle: We have yeast no one else has and our own beer recipes."
    The beer has received good reviews at the Russian River Beer Festival and from other reviewers. The Oakland Tribune beer critic, William Brand, says the beer has "a wierd spiciness at the finish," and The Washington Post said the beer was "smooth and spicy."
    Part of that taste comes from the yeast's unique metabolism. "The ancient yeast is restricted to a narrow band of carbohydrates, unlike more modern yeasts, which can consume just about any kind of sugar," said Cano.

Now, once this is distributed to Californians, I'd love to get in contact with one of our valued members and get one of these. Will pay shipping, etc.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

awesome

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the beer be a little skunky by now if it were that old?

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't have Cenozoic era yeast, but I started two gallons of wine this week. Today was my first "stir day." It had an interesting taste, to say the least.

Draft saved Draft deleted