1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you left the journalism biz today ....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Willie-Butch, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

What would you do?

All these layoffs have made me think about a different career path. Only problem is, I can't think of anything else I'd want to do. I'm just curious as to what you would do if you left the journalism biz.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I was just looking at available jobs with NHL teams. But law school.

3. TX Writer

TX Writer Member

I've been thinking about this as well. I can't imagine any other field where I'd have the same passion or drive. I guess I'd look into sports information directors at universities, or even media relations directors with any sports team. Anywhere where I can still write and cover sports.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Get married. Have babies.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Wedding planner.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Public relations. Or a teacher.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm 35 and still haven't found one thing I'd actually like to do, and that includes the newspaper business I've been in for 13 years.

8. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I enjoy what I do, but I'm just not sure if it's what I wanna to for the next 25 years. I'm not even sure it's possible to remain in this business for 25 years. It seems like everyone 50 and over are getting bought out.

Once upon a time, I used to have this crazy idea of being one of those guys that works at the same place for two, three decades. In this business, that seems less and less possible with each set of buyouts and layoffs.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Full-time dreamer.

(Actually, I'm writing this as I take a break from filling out the application for a media relations job at a university.)

10. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

How does the salary of someone working in media relations for a university compare to being a writer or a designer? More, less, about the same?

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Sanitation engineering. Or stocking shelves at Target. Or clerking at a bookstore.

I'm done with papers after this job, whenever it ends.

12. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I applied for a job with a WAC school and was barely offered $24K.

But, I'd probably try to teach high school literature or work for my father-in-law, who owns a small grocery store in a 2A-size town. I wouldn't mind owning a small pizzeria in a downtown area.

Draft saved Draft deleted