1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student sportswriter fired for plagiarism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sunshine Scooter, Jul 13, 2007.

1. http://media.www.lsureveille.com/media/storage/paper868/news/2007/07/12/Opinion/Daily.Reveille.Sports.Reporter.Dismissed.For.Plagiarizing.Fantasy.Baseball.Colum-2923071.shtml

Reporter Jay Potter was dismissed from The Daily Reveille on Tuesday after we found evidence of plagiarism in his Friday column, " 'Salty' among several sweet fantasy prospects'."

A reader notified us of the mistake, and we immediately removed his column from our Web site after finding he had plagiarized parts of his column word for word.

We also notified the plagiarized writer and his company about the error.

Journalism thrives on trust. The Daily Reveille has a commitment to honesty and accuracy to maintain the trust of our readers. A lack of trust undermines our credibility and destroys our integrity.

Plagiarism has plagued journalism for years, creating lazy writers and a dubious public.

It hurt the Wall Street Journal in 1999 when Monica Crowley plagiarized "The Day Nixon said Goodbye."

It hurt the New York Times in 2003 when Jayson Blair plagiarized and created several articles.

It hurt The Daily Reveille in 2006 when Sevetri Wilson plagiarized columns.

But plagiarism hurts readers the most.

We exist to serve our readers, giving them the news we think they both want and need. When we give you dishonest work, it is both embarrassing and hurtful.

The Daily Reveille will continue to closely monitor our publication to avoid future errors.

We apologize for the mistake and hope to regain our readership's trust.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Better for the journalism board?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You really are going for Mod, aren't you? :D

4. Maybe so. Mods, please move if needed.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten in a fight with Boots, though.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hell, that makes you unique...

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Is that a picture of Julie Chance, laying on the rock? Or is that an ad?

Hell, I'd hit it.

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Why is this on the board, period? Some college kid fucked up. What are we going to do, dance around a fire in ethical celebration?

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

We have a good number of college kids who read and are members of this borad (sadly, I'm not one of them). It's a good teaching tool and I see nothing wrong with it being posted, but no fires are needed.

10. Of all the things to plagiarise, a fantasy column? It's pretty sad.

I think that photo is of the editor in chief. Very nice.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

She is cute. Wish the photo was closer up.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jesus f christ - can you pervs keep it out of the gutter on a fairly serious thread at least?

Draft saved Draft deleted