1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attire for all-day job interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I've been told I'll be having an "all-day job interview" in a couple of weeks at an out-of-town paper and was curious about what might be the customary attire for this. At any normal interview, I would wear a suit and tie. I've always figured you can't overdress for these sorts of things, but you can definitely underdress.

In this situation, though, I wonder if wearing a suit might be a bit of overkill. This "interview" sounds like it will last several hours, probably include a meal or two, a bit of a tour around the town, etc. It will also be in the mid 90s outside, so any walking around would be insanely hot in a suit.

So I'd appreciate some input. Do you think a suit is still the way to go? If not, what should I wear? Just drop the jacket? Drop the tie and jacket?

I know there are no hard-and-fast rules on this sort of thing, but the first impression is extremely important so I'd appreciate any guidance you guys might be able to provide. Thanks for the help.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If you don't think you can handle the suit, then go with slacks, button-down and tie.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We do the all-day interview thing here. Most of the guys wear what Doc said, FWIW.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I like Doc's idea. And if you have a sport coat, you can always drape it fashionably on your arm while doing your walkabout.

And as I always point out on these threads. Get your shoes polished. It matters.

Do NOT wear a new pair of shoes purchased especially for the interview, as they'll tear your feet up. Been there, done that.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'd say stick with the suit. You can always take off the jacket if need be.
    If it's hot as shit outside and the person interviewing you doesn't tell you it's OK to take it off, you don't want to work for them anyway.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I remember we had a position open here a while back, and every guy they brought in for an "all-day" wore suits.

I would go with a light suit, or a summer sport coat. I think wearing some kind of jacket makes a very good first impression. Some may dismiss this, but making an effort in the way you look does impress those who may be meeting you for the first time, and only know you from your clips.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Personally, I'd go suit and tie. But I've only had one interview before, so....

8. sportschick

I also think it depends on where you live. What works out West where I am might not work on the East Coast. We have a really lax dress code, so somebody in a tie and slacks looks really dressed up (esp. next to the shorts wearing SE).

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

Shorts? Wow. That must be nice. Our publisher won't even let us wear jeans or button-ups with shirttails untucked.

10. sportschick

I worked at one paper like that. The paper was awful. They were too worried about what people were wearing and what their desks looked like and didn't worry enough about what the product was like.

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I am stunned. My paper has no dress code whatsoever. Most of the people there during the day adhere to a sort of unwritten, very indefinable dress code (Dockers and a polo would be the average, although shorts, sandals, jeans and even hats are common), but during desk shifts, all hell breaks loose. Sweat pants, people taking off their shoes, etc.

I think if it was me, I would go with some slacks, my best pair of shoes, an Oxford and a sport coat. No tie. It says you're professional and serious, but not stodgy or trying too hard. You don't want to look too slick.

12. As far as my paper goes, the dress code is fairly lax on the weekends and a tad tighter (but mainly for appearances, I've never been told my jeans and t-shirt were improper) during the week.

To answer the OP, when I had a day-long interview earlier this year, I did the slacks, button-up with a tie and classy shoes (shined before I left). The newsroom was a little more relaxed and I was dressed as the editors were. Must have worked because I was offered the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted