1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

44-year-old writer is treated like a real player on the team

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ramgrad08, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

And if this were the Ohio State football beat, and not Winston-Salem, I think the reaction would be a lot more negative.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Every college paper in the country has had a writer show up to open tryouts for basketball or football and then write about it.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Few of them 44, I'm thinking.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

When something is kept tight, when it reveals stuff about the team or players or process the "insider" has infiltrated, when it makes the reader feel as if he is on the inside, great -- as a rare form. I think this one works.

When it's an ego trip, when it focuses as much or more (or even a fair amount) on the writer and his athletic history rather than on those he has infiltrated, when the photo(s) dwell on our hero rather than the context of his teammates or coach, then I want to puke. Nine times out of 10, that's the reaction I have to these things.

5. Mizzougrad96

Wake me when he goes through Oklahoma drills in Gainesville or Tuscaloosa. :D

6. Mizzougrad96

So, he went through 7-on-7 drills with the team in front of a coach who was likely watching every word that came out of his mouth.

I'm sure he was treated just like a real player on the team.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

So it'd be OK if it was Florida?

8. Mizzougrad96

I was joking, hence the smiley face. :D

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

John Feinstein never threw a pitch, never caught a pass, never swung a club and never took a jumpshot.

Apples, oranges, I know. Just saying ...

10. Mizzougrad96

Exactly.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr 96,

Yeah, you're right. Dangerous to inject healthy respect into the necessarily adversarial relationship ... either way that is.

YD&OHS, etc

12. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Spurrier had a female student reporter try to punt once at practice after she had written a column ripping the punter.

Draft saved Draft deleted