1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minor-league baseball on TV? Would you watch?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Good column by Salon.com's King Kaufman about the feasibility of a minor-leageu game of the week focusing on player development, including a studio show about top prospects (and not tear-jerkers about "childhood illness").

Gotta say he's onto something -- ESPN and Baseball America could pair up to create something really, really good:

http://www.salon.com/sports/col/kaufman/2007/06/26/tuesday/

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

If we can have little league and college baseball on tv, we can certainly have minor-league ball. I don't watch little league. I watch college...and I'd enjoy the minors on TV. But I'm more into baseball than most sports fanboys...don't know how good an idea this is from a broader programming perspective.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'd watch college if we got it up here north of the border. I'd certainly watch minor league ball too.

4. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

Anything's better than a "Die Hard"-themed SportsCenter

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

On FSN here in Texas, I've seen the Frisco Roughridres and Corpus Christi Hooks of the Texas League two or three times lately.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think, if there is any market out there for this, it's for independent-league ball rather than the minors.

The minors have could-bes, wannabes.

The independent clubs tend to have a little more name recognition, a player or two who put in some major-league time.

When I talk about minor league prospects with our baseball writers in the sports department, everyone else's eyes glaze over. They have absolutely no interest. And that's in a sports department.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Some regional cable stations (like Comcast's CN8 in Philly) airs a handful of minor league games a year. If done right, a weekly minor league baseball program could succeed. Possibly have the show divided into four segments -- one for AAA, one for AA, one for A, and one that would have a rotating theme (fantasy impact in the coming seasons, potential call-ups, which league/level is best for rehab assignments, which pro team has the deepest farm system, prospects with most trade value, sleeper prospects, etc.)

Also have a minor league game of the week on -- a AA or AAA contest.

8. txscoop

txscoop Member

I still think Division-2 football should play in the summer. They would get TV contracts. Football fans would watch. I do like the idea of minor league baseball on TV.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Having the draft on TV could also make minor league games on TV more viable. The general public has a better idea who the top prospects are now then it did even a few years ago.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Isn't the AAA All-Star game on TV? Or did ESPN toss that aside for another night of poker re-runs?

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't like saying it, jake; I'm a baseball geek. But the general public does not, and will not, care.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I wouldn't watch a game of the week, but would probbaly watch a "This Week in Baseball" type show on the minors.

Draft saved Draft deleted