1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Desk work - Nampa, Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jun 20, 2007.

1. From jjobs.com: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=791961

Company: Idaho Press-Tribune
    Position:
    Want to work in sports?
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    July 24, 2007
    Job ID: 791961

Description:
    Can’t land a job in the sports department? Jump to the front of the line. Take a copy- editing job on the news desk at the Idaho Press-Tribune in Nampa, and be ready to leap to the sports department when there’s an opening. We have a proven track record of promoting folks from the desk to sports. Meanwhile, you get to hang out with all the “stick-and-ball” junkies. Seriously, this is your fastest way to the sports desk at this growing daily, just 20 miles from Boise, the home of four pro teams, Boise State University and Idaho’s great outdoors. Bring your creative edge and editing skills to the Idaho Press-Tribune to land a spot on the news desk. Work from 4 to midnight in a new, modern newsroom and enjoy Idaho’s beautiful outdoors by day. We are an award-winning daily newspaper in one of the Northwest’s fastest- growing areas. A journalism degree (or equivalent experience) and design skills are a must. Experience with InDesign, PhotoShop and Web software is all a plus. Life in the Treasure Valley — nearing 600,000 people — offers a wide range of activities, including: multiple ski resorts within short driving range, hunting and fishing, four professional sports teams, a vibrant nightlife that spans five cities, some of the best hiking, mountain biking, rafting and camping destinations in the country and numerous top-notch golf courses. Visit our web at idahopress.com and our community guide at idahoiz.com. E-mail your cover letter, and three best designs to vholbrook@idahopress.com.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

I've never seen an ad that says a news desk job is a holding pattern to move to sports. Must make the news editor feel proud.

3. duckncover

duckncover Member

Do yourself a favor, pass on this. I have never heard of a person who came from there who had a good experience. In fact, most were desperate to leave after a short stay. Having lived in the area, I know a few.

Plus, Nampa is a dead zone. Getting off at midnight means no chance to do anything remotely resembling "nightlife," except maybe rushing to the store to buy the vast quatities of alcohol you'll need to survive this gig.

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

Personally, "getting off" at any point of the day works well for me.

Hey duck, it's quantities.

5. john boy

john boy New Member

I have been a part-timer there for a while and it's a good sports department. The only problem with this one has been the couple sad sacks of shit who have passed through and did nothing while they were there. Hard to think that you must work to keep your job. The crew there is a solid bunch of guys. God forbid that you have to work until midnight in SPORTS!!! Next they'll be asking for Saturdays!!! As far as Nampa, I don't live there either. Boise is a cool town. Ask all the assholes who are moving to the area. If you go for this job, LIVE IN BOISE!!!

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's a pretty crappy paper. I've seen it, more than I want to.

And if you live in Boise, you'll be driving almost half an hour to get to work. For some folks, JB, that's a huge waste of money, esp. given how little the folks out there make.

7. john boy

john boy New Member

And there's a response from one of those assholes.

8. sportschick

You're on a rokskiesque roll there, Angola! Impressive.

Also, nobody was bitching about having to work till midnight, just about the fact the bars were closed by then.

9. sportschick

You love me and you know it, darling!

10. duckncover

duckncover Member

Angola! speaks truth. This is a tough gig. Low pay, crappy bennies and really reactionary management. But as your first job . . .

Oh fuck, just look somewhere else.

11. J_E

J_E New Member

I'm familiar with the area, the paper and stuff like that, too.

You could do A LOT worse than this job. A lot better, too.

But I'd take anecdotal evidence from a bitter, whiny ex-employee who does virtually nothing but cry and moan on this board with a big grain of salt. If the bar scene is the biggest reason you take or don't take a job, you've got bigger problems than the quality of the pubs.

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

Looks like someone is calling out duckncover and Angola!

Draft saved Draft deleted