1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old Tandy laptops

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bearcat Wright, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Bearcat Wright

Bearcat Wright New Member

Are there any writers or papers out there still using those old Tandy laptops from the early 1980s ... the TRS80, 100, 102 or 200? I have more than one of these, haven't used one in a while and don't know what to do with them. However, i did enjoy the queries of young writers about five years ago who would get an eyeful of my Tandy and ask "What is that thing?"

2. Bearcat Wright

Bearcat Wright New Member

Oops, I didn't mean to post this in the writers' workshop. Oh well.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jocko Connolly who covers track and college hockey for the Herald still has a TRS-80. Honest.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd actually kind of like to have one for sentimentall reasons. At the papers where I worked, filing was complicated as hell with them, but they were very dependable. One of the best days of my professional life was when I got at TRS200 with the flip-up screen that allowed me to see several paragraphs at a time rather than just four lines. Ah, good times.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I still curse the Trash 80s when I think about them. I'd love to see the reaction of younger reporters if they actually had to write stories on one of those things. The four-line screen was maddening.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I went years with one without knowing there were two "banks" you could use to write. If you covered a big event that required a lead, bar and notes for instance, you had to write and send one and then delete it to make room for the third.
    Except you could go to the other bank and use that. Who knew?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Jocko would survive a nuclear winter. Guy's amazing.

8. Oh the days of the Tandy and the always trusty coupler. I remember those days, sending from my car and a telephone booth in the rain. What memories. And thank God they are memories.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So many old stories, so little time ...

And I never knew about the "banks." That would have come in handy many times.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Circa 1997: I was working on my laptop trying to file from a championship game. So here I am trying to hook up to the phone system in the arena, and I can't do it. Modem wouldn't communicate with their phone system. This was an older modem and a newer phone system, and for some reason they were incompatible. So I had to dictate.

Dude covering the game after mine using a Trash 80 mentions he was gonna file from the payphone after the game. Felt like a massive douche.

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I swear to God you could drop a Trash 80 out of an airplane and it would still work when you parachuted to get it. I saw one guy, who was a lot more high-maintenance than the 80s, throw one across an NBA court one night when something pissed him off, and it still worked.

12. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

True story. One day in St. Pete, I left my Trash-80 on top of my car as I packed up to leave a spring training game. I only knew about it after I drove off and it slipped down the back of my car and bounced along the pavement. I backed up but accidently ran over it with one tire.

Damn if the thing still worked. Indestructible little critters. And kudos to any computer that could run on Double-A batteries like the good ol' Trash-80s

It's the Bill Brasky of computers

Draft saved Draft deleted