1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

layoffs in Greensboro

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by long_snapper, Jun 7, 2007.

1. long_snapper

long_snapper Member

No breakdown by department, but sports already cut to the bone....

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070607/NEWSREC0101/70607025

2. long_snapper

long_snapper Member

My bad. Should have started this on the "journalism topics only" board.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You can probably PM Moddy or Gutter and have them move it for you.

And I love the excuses from the publisher. Never blame the company's decision to cut the newsroom to the bone. It's always the Internet's fault.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Landmark also owns papers in Roanoke and Norfolk. Wonder if anything will happen there? Tampa had cuts and I don't think other MG papers had any - well, Winston-Salem a while ago - so maybe the rest of the Landmark chain is OK.

Shitty time in this here business.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

(and after learning I won't get my annual bonus if the profit margin dips below 20 percent, Saul added).

6. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Wow! This is not a good sign at all.

Landmark's not your typical cut-throat, bottom-line newspaper chain.

This is very surprising ... and disheartening ... and could be a terrible sign for the future. I have always been optimistic about the future of newspapers as we know them, but this is bad with a capital B.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I've been employed with LCNI for more than 7 years.

Never seen something like this.

Although according to the story, Greensboro had more than 400 employees. It's not four times the size of my paper in terms of circulation, but it had four times as many employees.

Granted this is bad, but it seems like it had room to cut (or my paper is bare bones and we never layoff people or go through hiring freezes. Every newsroom position gets filled).

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

I second that!

9. boots

boots New Member

From what I understand, plans are still a go to name a new SE in Norfolk. But this picture is getting very ugly not just for Landmark but for many other chains.
    From what I can see, the smaller single-family owned operations - and there aren't that many any longer - seem to be fairing much better.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Apparently these layoffs were done according to seniority. The people laid off were the people who had been there the shortest time.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

That really sucks for all involved in Greensboro...the SE's a great guy and the staff, which, as someone stated above, was already down to the bone, is also great. Sorry to hear.

12. long_snapper

long_snapper Member

17 from the newsroom let go. 11 full-time, 6 part-timers.

Once-proud sports dept. down to 5 writers, I believe, including one columnist.

Pity for a great college hoops market.

Draft saved Draft deleted