1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

42: The True Story of an American Legend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not necessarily.

An Ohio Wesleyan scene could have taken 15 seconds. Show Rickey telling Robinson, flashback to the player crying, show a young Rickey watching, then flash forward.

A Rachel dealing with prejudice scene, and the accompanying Jackie being sympathetic scene may have taken 5 minutes.

The Montreal montage, another 2-3 minutes.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK I give on the time part. I think since it's primarily Robinson's story, they're right to let us experience it as he did/would. I could go either way on Montreal.

They had Rachel getting her first glimpse of a "white only" sign on a bathroom door then going right in. So there's that. And then the lady at the airport ticket desk bumping them off their flight.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nice opening weekend box office ($27 million) for a sports movie, especially for one that only cost $40 million to make.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Alan Tudyk steps away from Suburgatory to take on what's a very vilified role. Interesting choice.

5. Baron Scicluna

Reading about Chapman on Wikipedia, sounds like he truly was a piece of work. When he played for the Yankees, he would taunt Jewish fans at the Stadium with Nazi salutes.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Wait a minute... Ben Chapman is played by Steve the Pirate from Dodgeball?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Damn it!

We were going to go this weekend.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you can dodge racist taunts, you can dodge a ball.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Liked catching the name "Dick Whitman" on one of Rickey's organizational depth charts.

As well as seeing George O'Malley and the old Chief of Staff from Grey's Anatomy with roles. I was hoping Durocher would have bagged a threesome with Izzy and Lexi (ya know, artistic license) instead of with the actress.

Otherwise, a well done biopic.

10. Baron Scicluna

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/whitmdi01.shtml

Unfortunately, no Don Draper has played organized ball.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That makes sense.

Whitman left baseball for Korea in 1951 where he was "killed in action"...

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I saw it yesterday. I went in with a bit of trepidation due to Hollywood's past with baseball history (see any movie ever made about Babe Ruth), but overall I thought it was very good. It was reasonably historically accurate--most of the names and places were correct. Although there were a few obvious liberties taken, they didn't seem to alter the movie. It's hard to show everything he went through in two hours, but I thought they kept to the main points. The computer generated images of Ebbets Field, Crosley Field, Forbes Field and the Polo Grounds were neat (although they short-changed the left field terrace at Crosley). The actor who played Robinson looked reasonably like him and did a decent job of imitating his batting stance. I thought the guy who played Durocher was spot on (except they obviously couldn't have an F-bomb every other word and still keep the PG-13 rating), except it was a little cheesy dropping the "nice guys finish last" line while he was in bed with Lorraine Day while receiving the call from Rickey. The ball players for the most part looked like they knew how to play baseball on the field. Also, I think it was good that they resisted the urge to go for an over-the-top Hollywood fakey ending, which would have taken away from the whole thing.

One problem I had was that I don't think they gave Happy Chandler his due. It is my understanding that Chandler played an important role in allowing Rickey to bring in Robinson--he could have easily have gone all Kennesaw Mountain and squashed the whole thing and would have had the support of the majority of the owners. In his short appearance in the movie, Chandler comes off as a a dimwitted characature). Also, it was my understanding that Durocher had been consorting with gamblers and unsavory types and that was as important in his suspension as his scandalous relationship with Lorraine Day.

These are all minor points I think. Overall it is one of the better Hollywood efforts at baseball in a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted