1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

42 national titles later, Arkansas track coach retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I believe that assistant's misdeeds happened prior to his hiring at Arkansas.

These stats from Wikipedia are pretty amazing ...

20 conference triple crowns since 1982, including eight straight between 1987 and 1995
    25 consecutive conference titles in cross country with indoor track and outdoor track combined from 1987 to 1995
    72 conference championships in the last 77 events Arkansas has entered since 1981-1982
    83 conference championships overall since 1974 including 38 in the SWC and 45 in the SEC (out of a possible 50, or 90 percent)
    12 consecutive NCAA indoor track championships (1984-1995)
    coached 178 track All-Americans, earning 635 separate All-America honors
    34 consecutive league cross country championships, including 17 straight in the SEC (1974-2007)[2]
    54 individual national champions
    23 Olympians coached spanning three decades and six different Olympic Games including gold, silver and bronze medalists

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Nicer than Ohio State, with Ohio Stadium and it's brand-new arena?

Nicer than Wisconsin, with the Kohl Center and Camp Randall?

That's just two schools in the Big Ten.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

So who are the hot candidates to replace him? Stanley Redwine maybe?

4. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Sure, those two facilities might be nice -- but everything else on campus isn't. Crappy soccer field, the worst swimming facilities in the Big Ten (the swimming coach is getting a big check because he made them put it in his contract that if they don't upgrade the facilities, he'll get a big bonus), horrible indoor track facilities (share it with a student gym) and so on.

Wisconsin's nice, but shouldn't be in the same breath as "the best facilities in the country" if we're talking overall.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In their final SWC cross country championship appearance they won the title with a perfect score of 15 points. I don't think that happens too often either.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yes, actually. Yes. It's purely subjective. I have no dog in this hunt, and I don't particularly like Oregon or Phil Knight. Just an observation.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No dog in the hunt either.

Sport for sport, Stanford's facilities are the best in the Pac-10, far and away.

Oregon's football stadium is nice, with a gaudy locker room, and over-the-top training room. Hayward Field is the country's top collegiate track venue.

But the baseball stadium hasn't been built, it's still a parking lot less than a year before their first game. The basketball arena isn't off the drawing board yet and is drawing more heat every day for it's "creative" financing plan and increasing neighborhood opposition because there's no on-site parking.No guarantee is will be bujilt by 2010 as projected.

The soccer, softball, lacrosse, tennis, etc., facilities are certainly nothing special. They don't have a university golf course, like many other Pac-10 schools. And until it's razed McArthur Court is a quaint firetrap with several thousand view-obstructed, cramped seats (and a fun place to watch a game, I'll gladly concede that).

Maybe a separate facilities thread is warrented, but certainly Oregon's overall facilities aren't anywhere near the best in the conference, much less the entire country.

And to get this back on course, great career for the Arkansas coach. I enjoyed watching Joe Falcon at NCAAs one year along time ago.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I don't know if it's true, but I'd wager that the baseball team is actually a revenue producer at Arkansas. Last year they led the nation in attendance and have luxury suites all the way down each baseline to the outfield wall. IIRC, last year against Vanderbilt, they got around 30,000 fans through the turnstiles for the series.

Also, there is a brand new softball field currently under construction at U of A.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mike Conley Sr.?

The line forms to the left.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I know it won't be Robert Howard.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Isn't he a sports agent now?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yes, but don't know how successful of one he is.

Draft saved Draft deleted