1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

42 national titles later, Arkansas track coach retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 22, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jz2gKntsxRfVP_YeccLcLaSfdZugD9079KHO0

2. pallister

pallister Guest

To win so consistently for so long is incredible, regardless of the sport.

3. His 42 titles would place him fifth on the list of schools with the most.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/champs_listing1.html

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

the track facilities at Arkansas are absolutely sick. I went to my first indoor track meet a few months ago at the Tyson Track Center in Fayetteville and I couldn't believe how nice of a place it was for a sport with such a small following at the collegiate level. The U of A also is putting the finishing touches on a brand new outdoor track facility. I just feel bad for the guy that has to replace him, it won't be possible to live up to the expectations.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'll second what ucasm just said, and I'll add that I still haven't seen a school with better top-to-bottom facilities than Arkansas — a few in the ballpark, but none better.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've seen only one. Univ. of Nike (in Eugene, Ore.).

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I've heard that, but I haven't been to Eugene. Hopefully, I'll get up that way soon.

8. scribbler

scribbler Member

Have you been to Mac Court at Oregon and compared it to Walton Arena in Fayetteville? (Not to mention Oregon's nonexistent baseball park -- though there's a new one on the way -- vs. Arkansas' Baum Stadium). ... U of Nike is nice, but doesn't compare ... yet. When Phil Knight's $200 million arena gets built, and the baseball park is completed, then I'd agree.

Not now, though.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Nice ride.

But the NCAA indoor track titles are the equivalent of winning the Arena Bowl.

And how many times was he on probation?

Oregon's football and track facilities are very nice, as are many of its support buildings. The Ducks have tons of bling.

Basketball, softball, soccer and lacrosse are all very ordinary, however. Soccer, lacrosse, football and soon-to-be-baseball facilities are all located about a mile or so off the heart of campus, the raised dugouts render 40 percent of the softball seating useless, and wrestling has been dropped completely.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Arkansas' track facilities are nice now but up until the late 90s they were horseshit compared to most of the other traditionally strong track programs.

What he did there is truly remarkable.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

When Knight Arena is built, Nike will have the best facilities in the country.
    Can't really knock Univ. of Nike for not having a baseball stadium when they didn't have a team.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Isn't one of McDonnell' assistants in prison for fudging academic records of his athletes?
    Seems like I recall something.

The (South Carolina) State did a series last year, maybe two, on SEC facilities and they crowned Arkansas No.1 in the conference and best in the country as well.
    The thing about Arkansas is they have dumped tons of money into facilities that don't normally get cash like track, softball and baseball.
    I'd put the football stadium about middle of the pack in the SEC but basketball would be second, I think.
    I'd like to take a look at Eugene, one of the places I'd like to go, and see what it is like.

Draft saved Draft deleted