1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Jasper, Ind.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, May 23, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Herald (Jasper), a 13,000-circulation, daily newspaper in southwestern Indiana, is looking for a energetic, creative writer to complete its three-person sports staff. Our area features some of the state’s best prep sports and readers expect our thorough coverage of all five schools in our two-county coverage area. We offer the chance to go beyond common sports reporting via expanded game coverage and magazine-style features. Layout skills are encouraged but not required. Coverage includes preps as well as community sports and a summer-league collegiate baseball team. Members of our staff have received numerous writing awards from the Hoosier State Press Association, the Associated Press Sports Editors and the Associated Press Managing Editors. We have been named the top section in Indiana multiple times. Jasper is located less than 90 minutes from Evansville, Bloomington and Louisville. The Herald is a family-owned newspaper published six afternoons a week (Monday-Saturday). Send resumes and clips to Herald Sports Editor Jason Recker at sports@dcherald.com or 216 E. Fourth St., Jasper IN 47546. The deadline to apply is June 8.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And without commentary too... I am floored...

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Good place (family-owned), good SE. If you are fresh out of college, you cannot go wrong here.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

all five schools in two counties?

5. LemMan

LemMan Member

yep - four in one, one in the other.

I worked here for about a year before landing my current job, and I can't say enough good things about the paper, the SE, the publisher or the entire experience. For any writer - not just young - this is a great gig. The pay may not be great and Jasper, while nice, isn't a party town. But if you want to grow as a writer, work with some great people and cover some good athletes - Jasper area teams are always playing deep into the postseason - this is the place for you.

6. 0-fer

0-fer Member

Sounds like a good gig, but at 13,000 circ. can it possibly pay more than $20-22K?

7. LemMan

LemMan Member

It won't pay much, no. But Jasper is REAL cheap - I had a nice one-bedroom apartment, less than five miles from the paper, for $310 a month. The utilities are cheap, and since it doesn't extremely cold or hot, you don't have to jack up the heat or AC.

You'll make more than enough to survive.

Draft saved Draft deleted