1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allison Stokke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Anyone who navigates through the Interwebs on sports/guy-type blogs has seen her pictures in the last month. For those who haven't, here is the backround:

Stokke is a senior at Newport Harbor High in Orange County, CA. She is a fantastic pole vaulter, prior state champion, broke her leg last year, trying to come back, won the CA Div II SS championship last week, and will compete in the States next month. Recently received scholarship to Cal. Oh, and she is flat-out, drop dead gorgeous. Don't even post TTIUWOP. You can google her name and find as many as you like. No pics are risque.

So her pole vaulting pics start circulating the web, and of course, all the lewd and rude comments that come with it on the message boards. And, word is, her parents are pissed. The father is a prominent OC lawyer, and apparently, sites are receiving notices from the family (copyright infringement, etc).

It really brings up, to me, an interesting point. Here's a family who, two months ago, is basically anonymous. Now, the daughter is posted all over the Web, and subject to incredibly disgusting sexual comments world-wide. I'm not saying what's right or wrong... Just think its interesting how the power of the web can "vault" people to prominence who may not want it.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine sent me a link to these pics last week, and it just felt weird. She's IN FREAKING HIGH SCHOOL.

It's one thing if Anna Kournikova is, at 16, begging to be lusted after. She's basically courting celebrity. But this girl is just a high school athlete wanting to compete in the pole vault. The whole thing makes me feel like a dirty old man.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Good for the parents for taking action.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are they normal school pics/action shots of her or modeling type photos?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

People are just sick idiots. I'd hate to have an attractive, athletic daughter in this Internet age.

6. sportschick

From what I saw when I googled, they seem to be action shots with a coupla shots of her and her friends mixed in. Nothing modelly or even senior picturey.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Yes, this all feels very icky...

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That is bad. If you are a 16-year-old bikini model, fine.

But if you are just an attractive gal playing sports, you didn't do anything to be a poster gal for internet lechers.

9. sportschick

I'd like to mention that I felt really just nasty even googling this girl.

She's done nothing to deserve to be gawked out by sick, gross men on the Internet.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I swear she said she was 18. Honest.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think The Big Lead had her picture up last week, which I was a little disappointed to see. Even if she is 18, she's still an anonymous high school kid. There are no modeling shots. The shot that everyone is drooling over is just one from a competition where she's dressed in a track outfit waiting to vault.

But I'm sure in a post or two we'll have someone blame her, saying she's desperate for attention, and kids today want to be exploited, and blah blah, myspace, I have the right to oogle anyone I want, blah blah, I live with my mom, blah blah, blah.

12. We're all just jealous because our profession is losing out to a nation of citizen-journalists who are the wave of the future and the coolest things ever!
    Gutenberg!
    BLOGS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.