1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Call for an intern

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Songbird, May 10, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mods, this board is by far the most-viewed which is why I posted this thread here.

With Mayfly's departure in the next week, I'm looking for someone to fill his interning shoes at my weekly in northern New England. I pay $50/story and the incentive is to write 6-7-8 stories a week, which is a decent piece of change. What I seek is someone to land here running and willing to cover anything, everything, and cover the games/events with pep.

Mayfly drove here, and after 8 hours on the road, he asked to cover something that day -- and that's the type of go-getter worker bee I seek; he worked his story subject for a great (potential) source in this week's golf story he's writing; even if it falls through, he's shown to be aggressive and resourceful. He's been willing to cover everything I needed him to. He's gotten compliments for his writing, too. Couldn't have asked for a better performance from someone who landed here as an unknown quantity. Turns out he is quality.

So, this is a chance for the right person, with an insatiable appetite to write and take photos, to build a summer's worth of clips before moving on to full-time work, and to live in a beautiful part of America for a few months. It's a small paper, but we're the 2-time Weekly of the Year in our state (though we cover 2 states).

PM me.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mayfly is leaving already? Didn't he just get there?

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Hey Xan, what did MayFly do about living arrangements?

4. Songbird

He'd applied for a gig before coming here, and it's happening for him, so off to the big world he goes; plus, a 21-year-old can't pass up the type of money they're offering.

5. Songbird

My building has extended stay rooms. PM him for details. It's not a bad little (old, creaky, funky, strange, active) building.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hell, it sounds like he could have left his car running for as long as he was there.

7. Songbird

Yeah, I know. Too bad because he really did bring desire and energy to the table, and that's what I want. But hey, 3 weeks of good stories is better than zero weeks of nothing. Hopefully the next person, if there is a next person, will hang around a few months.

8. nutgraph

nutgraph New Member

xandau,

just hire someone in india to write the stories. much cheaper. plus, you don't even have to meet the writer in person.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You can't even get his name right?

10. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

sent you a PM Songbird

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if i didn't have a damned family to support, i'd pay money to work for xan.

12. Songbird

Thanks, Tom. A comment like that deserves a response like this:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted