1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40th Ryder Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Dick move by Mickleson.
    I get he's pissed at being benched Saturday. But he shoulda been benched. I agree with Watson's reasoning: He and Bradley didn't play well Friday. Watson said they begged their way into playing Friday afternoon (which we all know was mistake).
    The call is already be made to bring back Azinger, who said he hasn't ruled anything out.

Fuck it .... Tiger Woods Player/Coach 2016 Ryder Cup. ;)

Bradley's play today was none to sharp, either.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Is there a more over analyzed job than Ryder Cup captain? The Americans lost because they played like crap both afternoons.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So an American team that had one of the best players of the past 20 years - a guy who has never really shown that he gives all that much of a fuck about the Ryder Cup - back home injured, along with Jason Dufner out due to injury s well and Dustin Johnson out due to drugging and fucking and they were beaten.

Shocking.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And in the first afternoon, the pair that won 5-and-4 wasn't sent out again. Sure, maybe they don't win, but it doesn't take rocket science to try to ride the hot hands. Same with the captains' picks Watson had to begin with. When Azinger was captain he lobbied to make the picks at the very last minute so he could get the guys in top form at that moment. If the U.S. had Chris Kirk and Billy Horschel, who were hot in the last month, who knows.

If the captain doesn't want to be second-guessed, then stop giving so much ammo for it.

5. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Anyone that thinks Europe isn't simply better than the U.S. in terms of top-notch linksters should go to work for a company desperate for a PR spinster. And the best player of the last 20 years is Woods, he's a choke in this event in the last 5 or so years.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Never understood why people seem more so eager to dump on a captain for Ryder Cup losses rather than on the golfers themselves.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Watson sitting Speith/Reed was unforgivable. So graphic today was Speith/Reed 2 1/2 pts out of 3; rest of team 3 1/2 out of 13.

Americans were 1 and 7 in foursomes (alt shot) so that's where they got killed.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Every time the Ryder Cup comes around,
    my first thought is: "Well, how will they fuck it up this time?"

Sad to say, but right on schedule, they did it again.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

By my count, there were nine matches in which the U.S. never led for even a single hole. That's just not getting beaten; that's getting destroyed. Zach Johnson, Fowler and Bubba Watson should all be forced to pay their own way home.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that's true. I think the U.S. is simply less interested in team play. Blame the Presidents Cup. All the top players in the U.S. get dragged into a team competition every year and you can't tell me that Phil, Furyk, Zach get all that jacked up for them anymore, contrary to what they might say. The Euros have to wait two years to beat our brains in and when it rolls around, they're ready.

So if the U.S. is to win again, yeah, I'll say the captain would play a key role. He has to get the players truly invested, not just ready for galas and Ping-Pong in the team room.

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

- The only two questionable calls Watson made IMO, were to play Keegan/Mickelson twice on day 1 then bench them all of Saturday, and perhaps the biggest was to play Walker/Fowler all four matches on Friday and Saturday. They had played solid but not great, and they went all 18 every match. If they had closed out some teams 5 &4 it wouldn't have been as big of a deal, but asking two guys (any of them) to play 90 holes of extremely competitive golf in three days is asking a lot.

- Bubba might as well stay at home for any event (Ryder Cup, Tour Events, British Open) that's held in Europe. He's awful when he's on European soil. He had by far the poorest performance on the US team, and never seemed to be into it, but rather just going through the motions. Hopefully he got to see what 17 &18 looked like during the practice rounds, because he never sniffed them in competition.

- The US still had a great shot Sunday morning, but Spieth's collapse and Hunters WTF moment at 18 finished any hope the US had. Hunter's was so predictable. He had stood over his ball for 5 minutes, and when the coverage cut back to him, he STILL didn't even have a club in his hand. It was a difficult chip, but he had no clue what he wanted to do there. He has to get that ball on the green somewhere and at least give himself a chance at birdie. Taking the highest risk option made no sense there.

- As for Spieth, it's hard to rag on him when he played so well Friday and Saturday, but when you're down 2 with 3 to play, you can't leave a birdy short. You also can't be two clubs short on the par 3. It's match play and you need to be aggressive.

- In the end the US team had some good performances, ironically from it's rookies, who seemed to really want to be there while guys like Bubba looked like they'd rather be at home watching football on the couch. They also had some "average" performances. Guys like Kuchar, Phil, Keegan, etc. They certainly didn't earn an A, but they were solid. You can't have your whole team go 3-0-0.

- The difference through the whole weekend was the putting. The US players were missing 4-8 footers to halve or win holes. The Europeans were making 25-30 footers to do the same.

Overall the US were a couple shots away on Sunday morning to having a very interesting finish play out, but the Europeans made the shots they needed to, while the US missed theirs. It'll be interesting to see what the RC looks like in 2016, and I'm looking forward to it.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I disagree with sitting Bradley/Mickelson Sat., as much as I root against Phil, he's one of the most talented golfers out there, a true great, you cannot do that to him.

On the other hand, I read he was the only one who did not fly on the team charter to Europe; not good for team spirit; you've got to be on the same plane.

Draft saved Draft deleted